Heart Disease Community
Elevated Hemoglobin and Hematocrit

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Elevated Hemoglobin and Hematocrit

I am a 25 yr. old male, and don
Any input????
I too have elevated Hgb and Hematocrit levels.  My doctor repeated the test 3 times, and the result each time is the same.  The last time I saw her she said that she would check with a Hematologist, but I have not heard from her yet.  I'm not a smoker, and my blood pressure is normal.  But my heart rate is high most of the time.  I'm wondering if my body is trying to compensate for the lack of oxygen and raises my heart rate, Hgb, and Hematocrit levels.  If I hear back from my doctor, I will post again.
Take care.
My doctor asked me a few questions about my elevated blood count.  
1. Do I smoke?
2. Do I have sleep apnea?
3. Do I take vitamin/supplement that has diuretic ingredient?

Maybe these can help answer some of the questions you have.  

I answered no to them all, so the search continues....
it could be nothing.  it could be polycythemia vera.  you need to look that up online.  there are many things i am questioning for myself and i don' t like the looks of it!  it looks as though we need to get our iron levels done, also......along with B12 levels.  i have pain in my hands and forearms, ribs also so..........we'll see.  i'm a RN so i won't take, "oh its nothing" for an answer.  i'm sick of PCP''s always brushing things off and ignoring things.  one even mentioned that i'm probably depressed......since my arms and hands hurt, and i'm  aching on certain days, and have transient dizziness, yada yada yada.  (i actually went to a therapist and took a personality/depression test just in case i was in denial - and my depression scores "were very low" according to her)   therefore, to all of you, check out this link - one of many i found:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/polycythemia-vera/DS00919/DSECTION=symptoms

just copy and paste it...........just a thought.  like i said, it could be many things.
I am an LPN and I am also going through a lot.  I do have slightly elevated Hgb and Hct and it has been checked twice now.  I have the numbing of the hands and fingers. Eyes get blurry at times, lower back pain, and inflamed meniscus w/Bakers Cysts behing left knee.  Many other symptoms to and I am also getting the brush off from docs saying go to Physical therapy and take anti-inflamatories.  I have not given up.  I hurt all over to bad to even think of giving up.  I also have good days and bad, and was told, like you, the it might be depression.  I am not depressed, I am really irritated with the lack of compassion these doctors have anymore.  So, the one doc who is truely doing everything he can for me took a ton of bloodwork yesterday to look for more specific things like RA, Lupus, etc.  Unfortunately we all know there really is no definitive test for these but we are at the point of almost ruling everything else out.  Wish me Luck. I wish you the best of luck as well.  And the next time someone tells you its depression, tell them of course it is. Say I was fine before all this started and now because no doctor can seem to find the problem that I KNOW IS THERE, I am getting a bit depressed.  HAHA!