Heart Disease Expert Forum
Elevated RSVP should I be worried?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Elevated RSVP should I be worried?
Doctor,

I posted earlier on 8/25/07.

Anyway I have a few other questions:

1. Does PH set off TR or does TR set off PH?

I had an echo done recently and it was discovered that I had mild to moderate TR and a myxomatous MV with trace regurgitation.  My RSVP was 34mm hg.

Shouldn’t my doctor investigate this elevated RSVP before it gets out of hand?  

I am really concerned about this… just because it can be such a nasty disease if not caught and treated early enough (assuming that it is secondary that is).

2. Does myxomatous degeneration get worse or does it sometimes stabilize?
1. Pulmonary hypertension usually causes Right ventricular hypertrophy and over the course of time dilatation and induces functional tricuspid regurgitation. You don;t have severe tricuspid regurgitation only mild to moderate, and the treatment as you suggest is to decrease the pulmonary pressures to decrease the progression of the disease.
Usually this prompts a right heart catheterization and a bubble study to exclude shunts as a causes of the increased pulmonary pressures. Other thisngs include blood clots and left heart disease ( mitral regurgitation or stenosis,) or pulmonary disorders.
2. Yes myxomatous degeneration is a pathologic term and simply refers to the appearance of a valve on echocardiogram. It usually progresses with time and eventually may progress to require valve replacement or repair.