Heart Disease Expert Forum
Enlarge Aortic Root

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Enlarge Aortic Root
My Aortic Root has reached a point that my heart specialist wants me to discuss the condition with heart surgeon. I am bicuspid have no regurgitation and my root measurements is 5 centimeters. I am 69 yrs old in good health 5'8" 180lbs.  I get a yearly eco and catscan. I had a heart catherization last year and all was fine except the enlarged root. I have been getting echo's for 10yrs and prior to that I got transusophical xxx yearly tests. Meeting with surgeon next week. Obviously I do not want surgery.  However, can the root be repaired without replacing the aortic valve? Or, given the fact that I am bicuspid must the valve be replaced at the same time. What is recommended?  Can I get the aorta repaired and given my condition down the road further get the valve replace if I develop valve issue? BIG QUESTION how large (centimeters) can I go beyond 5 centimeters before I must get surgery?
PeterBenner,

Bicuspid aortic valves are the most common congenital heart abnormality in adults. If caught early, this problem can be watched until the time is right for surgery.  It sounds as if your local doctor has been doing a good job of watching the problem and thinks that the time has now arrived to fix both the valve and the root. 5 cm is typically the point at which we decide surgery should be undergone.

You will need to meet with a surgeon who can discuss the exact method he/she will use to fix the valve and root (after looking at your echocardiogram and CT scan). It is highly likely that you will need the valve replaced. I would advise you to have this done at a large volume center (such as the Cleveland Clinic). This is a fairly specialized surgery and it has been shown that there is a clear relationship between the number of surgeries performed and the outcomes.
Am I a candidate for " David's Re-iImplantation".  If yes where is this procedure done other than Cleveland Clinic?
I though I sent this comment earlier.

Why does the valve have to be replace. All studies show no leakage. Why can't I just get a root repair such as "David's Reimplantation ?????