Heart Disease Community
Enlarged Arteries

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Enlarged Arteries

My dad had a triple bypass 4 years ago. He also had an aortic valve replacement 2 months after the bypass. Lately he has been having episodes where he breaks into a cold sweat, gets clammy, has chest and back pain, and his heart races to 200+ beats/minute. When this happens, he says he feels like he's having a heart attack. Sometimes he can feel it coming on, and other times it just sneaks up on him, but it is usually when he exerts himself.  He's been getting blurred vision at times, and he tires quickly, and his left hand will get numb and tingly. A couple of months ago, he had to call 911 because he thought he was having a heart attack. He had to be shocked in the ambulance to get his heart rate under control.

He went for an ultrasound of his heart last week. The report was sent to his PCP and his cardiologist. He saw the PCP today for a follow up visit, and she told him his 2 main arteries at the top of the heart were enlarged, and the cardiologist wants to see him on Monday. Everything I have found on enlarged arteries suggest an aneurysm. Is this what it usually is? What is the treatment for this? If it is surgery, how risky is the surgery?

The only information they gave him today is that the 2 main arteries at the top of his heart are enlarged and they are very concerned. They also told my mom that if he feels any pain or discomfort at all between now and Monday to get him straight to the emergency room. I am 8 hours away from my parents. Should I be making arrangements to get to them?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Avatar n tn
I'm still waiting for answers. My dad went to the cardiologist, who told him that the enlarged arteries are normal for him due to his past surgeries. He did the treadmill test today. He lasted 4 minutes, then they took him off. His blood pressure was very high and so was his pulse. He said he felt like his heart was in his throat. The EKG came back abnormal. The cardiologist says there is something going on, but she doesn't know what it is. He had an angiogram a few months ago, and that came back normal. They can only go up to his aorta though with a catheter because of the valve replacement.

Now, they're sending him to a doctor who specializes in the electrical part of the heart. Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have a clue as to what it may be?
Avatar n tn
Oh, the cardiologist also put him on a new med in addition to the others he's taking. It's called Ranexa--500mg/ twice a day.