Heart Disease Community
Enlarged Ascending Aorta and back Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Enlarged Ascending Aorta and back Pain

I am a 33 year old woman who is physically active and have been all of my life. I am a pretty pain tolerant person. A few weeks ago I started having back pain in between my shoulder blades. Then I got the shingles on the left side of my upper back and down my left arm. I took myself to the doctors and the doctor requested an MRI (not exactly sure why, still, I think it was due to the back pain). The MRI revealed an "enlarged ascending aorta." I was notified the next day and was told that I needed to schedule a CT scan for further evaluation.I was able to schedule one on Friday April 30th. I can not keep myself away from the internet and all the information out there about Enalrged ascending aortas. It is pretty scarry. I am concerned that we are waiting too long for the CT scan. The pain in my back is still there. Should I be concerned? I have two children and I need to make sure that I will be here for them for a while.... Please help me understand the doctors point of view.

Thank you ,
Angie
You are about the age when biscuspid aorta valve (BAV) syndrome (congential) manifests itself with an enlarged aorta. The condition is two leaflets that close over the valve opening rather than three. This could be the underlying cause for your back pain...usually lower back.

Your doctor wants to rule out BAV, measure aorta size, and maintain a reference, etc.  You shouldn't have any concern about a very serious problem as the MRI should have provided enough information that it isn't large enough to rupture. For your information, an aorta larger than 4.0cm would be considered an aneursym and 5.0cm or greater may begin to be a concern.  Lets us no the outcome of the CT scan, and if you have any questions, we are available to help.