Heart Disease Expert Forum
Enlarged Left Ventricle, insufficient mitral (MI)

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Dear doctor,

My Mom is 60 yrs old/Non-smoker/Moderately Overweight/Low Activity/Low blood pressure /Used to be an athlete. She caught a flu and had a high fever in Jan.1999, and was found Coxsackie in the DNA inspection in Aug.1999. Months later, she was told during an echocardiogram that she has an Enlarged Left Ventricle, insufficient mitral (MI), Mitral valve regurgitation and fibrotic cardiomyopathy (HCM).

The echocardiogram results are as follows: left ventricle in late diastole 54mm(
Dear Galinna,
It is not entirely clear to me the etiology of your mother's ventricular enlargement.  There are several possible causes.  Coxsackie can attack the heart and if she had an echocardiogram showing normal function prior to her flu then I would think it was due to the virus.  However, you also mention hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) was noted in the echo report.  This is a genetic cause of heart failure that may occur over time. Another cause that should be considered is coronary artery disease.  If she is diabetic she may not have chest pain but could still have blockages in the arteries.  This is an important cause to rule out because it is something that can be treated.

The treatment for heart failure must be customized to the individual.  First, any underlying heart problems should be corrected. Second, medications should be used to treat symptoms and delay progression.  These medications include: beta-blockers, ACE inhibitors, spironolactone and diuretics.  We will use these medications even in people with low blood pressure because their effectiveness is not only related to blood pressure lowering.  As long as the individual is not dizzy or passing out(too low blood pressure) these medications can be used.

Your mother may wish to see a specialist in the area of heart failure.  If she would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic you can make an appointment for her by calling the number below.
I was wondering if there are peculiar EKG changes for
coronary disease and on the contrary peculiar only for MVR ?
What does a thicking in the heart wall mean, and how bad is it?