Heart Disease Expert Forum
Enlarged Right Ventricle

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Enlarged Right Ventricle

I am 45 years old and I had a stress test done recently due to a enlarged right ventricle and accelerated heart rate.  I was able to do the stress test for 7 minutes.  My heart rate was at maximum, but during the entire test my blood pressure continued to decline.  Is this normal and what could this mean?  I recently was put on Zebeta, but discontinued prior to the test.  I have trouble sleeping on my left side due to a funny feeling in my heart.  Could you give me guidance or advice?  Thanks.
You need to have this looked into some more.  It does not sound normal.  A 45 year old should go much longer than 7 minutes on their stress test.  The fact that your blood pressure was falling is also concerning to me as well.  Have you ever passed out or felt like you were about to pass out?  The conditions that commonly cause this in the setting of enlarged right heart are pulmonary HTN, intracardiac shunting, right or left sided valvular heart disease and even coronary artery  disease.  You should see an experienced cardiologist who can look into this carefully and come up with a plan of action.  The funny feeling that you experience when you sleep on the left side is probably related to the enlarged right heart.    
I had the exact same thing happen to me during my nuclear stress test last wk, not reaching normal time and my BP continually dropping.  I am 42yo F and could not reach my max HR and only went for 8 or so mins due to severe sob and muscle weakness.  I have a hx of cardiomyopathy and pulmonary issues and a leaky valve, they are considering PH and I had an echo done a few days later.   My ejection fraction has dropped a tad, i have had increasing SOB and some lower leg edema despite lasix, but overall considered borderline normal at 53% as I understand it.  I asked for the reports, so I can see for myself and follow through as req with my cardiologist.  This so far has been followed by my PCP this time around.  Did not want to bug the cardio unnecessarily.  Oh BTW, when I had a cardiomyopathy and PE, I found it more difficult being on my left side, it seemed to trigger more palps and a faster heart rate.

Definitely ask for an echo to be done, unless that is how they picked up the enlarged ventricle?  They can look carefully for pulmonary pressures during an echo, but they need to know that is what is being assessed during the echo.  Then you need to consult with a cardio and go from there with the results.

Anyway, I wanted to say THANK YOU for asking the same Q that I have been wondering about.

Hope you get some good info soon and that you are feeling better asap.

Fiona