Heart Disease Community
Enlarged left heart, fears?

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Enlarged left heart, fears?

I am 29 and my husband is 30, we don't have health insurance, but he went to the doctor two weeks ago thinking he had asthma, he couldn't breath well, coughing, sweating, tired, the doc took an x ray of his heart and found the left was enlarged. Told him he needed to get his blood pressure down and to loose weight. He is 6ft and 240 lbs. Not too overweight. I'm worried and he's not worried enough. Another doctor gave him diet pills and I'm afraid these are going to kill him. He chews skoal, and likes mexican food. Earlier tonight he had a chest pain that left his forhead covered in sweat. We have 4 kids and I'm awake right now worrying I'll be left alone to raise our family. How real are my fears?
Your fears are well founded!  Was he put on BP medication?  If not he should be.  Men are so hard headed when it comes to their health!  Ask him if he truly loves you and your children (we know he does), and he will reply "of course". Then ask him why he isn't doing something to be around to see them grow up, and to grow old with you?  Ask if he wants to see you struggling alone to raise them, and his children missing and needing their dad?  There are no safe diet pills, and he will just put the weight right back on when he is taken off of them.  He is too young to be having these problems, and is headed in a bad direction.  Try to get him to talk seriously with you about this, and express your fears to him.  He needs to watch his diet, cut out salt, and caffeine, fatty greasy foods, etc.  If he could meet my husband he would do this.  He too, didn't take the warnings signs he had at an early age, and is in very, poor health with no options left for him.  He is constantly saying "I wish I had done things differently".  I hope he will listen to you, and I know how scared you are.  I hope he will listen to you.  Good luck to you and him....