Heart Disease Community
Enlarged right Heart

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Enlarged right Heart

I'm a 32 years old and was told last year that I had an enlarged heart. The way i found out was that I had an irregular heart beat and collapsed. After getting x-rays done they found that the rightside of my heart was enlarged.  I've seen a few doctors since and done a right heart catherization to confirm my pressures but it all came back normal and the doctors have no idea why I have an enlarged heart. While they were doing all this tests I was on Amiodarone and since been taken off since the pressures were fine. At the moment I'm in limbo and not to sure what ius wrong with me. Has anyone else had a similar experience like this?
It seems there are 4 causes of right ventricular enlargement.  For you pulmonary pressure has been ruled out by tests. The second common cause is congenital abnormality, and surely the doctor has ruled that out.

The third cause is pulmonary valve stenosis. Pulmonary valve stenosis (narrow diameter of valve opening) causes abnormality in the flow of the blood from the right ventricle going into the pulmonic valve. The cath should have ruled that out.

The last common cause of right ventricular enlargement is the ventricular septal (wall separating right and left heart chambers). Has there be a an echocardiogram to determine heart wall and chamber dimensions?

I can't think of any other causes. But if there are any other individuals that have experienced the same signs and symptoms a response would be welcome.  

My doctor has checked the measurements and it was all correct. He does not know what is wrong but I have a check up in April and will be doing an ECG as well. Can i have been born with an enlarged heart and only come to know?

thanks
With the mention of rhythm problems plus enlarged right ventricle, ARVD/C is a possibility that comes to mind. This is a disease which unfortunately has no cure, but the symptoms are treatable. Basically the muscle cells break down and become replaced with scar or fat tissue.
It is possible it can spread over many years to the left ventricle. Known to be a genetic disease, do you know anyone else closely related who has had heart problems?
Research is continuing to establish a way to alter the genes responsible and stop the muscle breakdown.
Born with the genetic disorder, most patients are not detected until they reach 20-40 years of age.
ARVD/C = Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Dysplasia/Cardiomyopathy

Have the cardiologists mentioned this or considered it?
I had an enlarged hear do to regurgitation. I got dizzy could barely see through burry eyes and felt totally drained. Well, after a few months, find out that it was my aortic valve and it needed replacement. Dr's had idea what was causing my aorta to be imflamed. It was really hard for me  since my aorta had gotten up to 5.5 cm. I was on lots of medications, but still this day no idea what was the cause. I would first try to see I'd any one has had the smallest complication with their heart in the past. Then I would think back and try to remember if you had a major accident big fall or car accident. Answers may ly there.
QUOTE: "Can i have been born with an enlarged heart and only come to know?"

Yes, heart sizes vary from individuals to indivduals. The only way to be sure is to take a biopsy.  The myocite heart cells line up differently in the heart muscle if pathological.  

There is a connection between the upper right atrium and/or lower chamber (ARVD as stated by ed...and it is genetic...family history?) and that can affect heart rate. Falling heart rate can cause irregular heartbeat and syncope (fainting).

It is very unusual to have an enlarged heart and the pressures are normal.  An enlarged right ventricle and if the pressure is normal that would strongly indicate no pathology.  If the condition is caught early there may not be any gradient pressure abnormality?!.

Interesting!  If you have any further information or tests that is more decisive, we would be interesting in hearing the dx.  Take care and I wish you a healthy New Year going forward.  
Hi, I know its been sometime, i went back for my visit to the docs and they did the Echo - the right heart is still enlarged. The doctor had requested i do more tests, had a cardiac MRI done and had to wear a holter for day. Waiting on those results but when I was getting my Cardiac MRI done the physician that was doing said that my heart beat was all over the place - so hopefully i'll have an answer soon...and i'll let you know wat happens.

Thank-you all for your information.