Heart Disease Expert Forum
Erythromelalgia

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Erythromelalgia

I don't even know for sure if this is the correct forum, my searches at many sites come up empty, but since Erythromelalgia is connected to problems with the vascular system, I decided to try here.  I'm trying to find GOOD, basic information/explanations for Erythromelalgia.  I have been diagnosed but without any clear understanding as to what this will mean - prognosis.  It is secondary to peripheral neuropathy, but doesn't seem to be a neurological disorder, although many of the symptoms overlap.  I'm confused!  I'll appreciate any help you can give me.  Thanks!

_
Dear Del,
According to a well known textbook of medicine, Erythromelalgia is a disorder
characterized by burning pain and erythema of the extremities.  The symptoms are
precipitated by exposure to a warm environment, aggravated by the dependent
position, and relieved with exposure of the extremity to cool air, water, or elevation.
The disorder may be primary (exists in and of itself), or secondary to disorders
such as polycythemia vera, and hypertension.  The disorder is distinguished from
arterial ischemia and peripheral neuropathy by the presence of normal pulses and a normal
neurologic exam respectively.  There is no specific treatment, although aspirin may
may produce relief.  Treatment of any associated disorders may also be helpful.
The disease process itself is not really understood, although there is some belief
that it is due to thrombosis of the arterioles (minute branches off the arteries
themselves).
Del, this is not the right forum, however with such an unusual disorder, I doubt you
will find a forum just for this.  It might be best for you to do a literature search
at the local medical library, and discuss the issue of prognosis and treatment with your doctor.
I hope you find this information useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for general
purposes only. Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel
free to write back with additional questions. Good luck!
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call
1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at
www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart
Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the
physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.