Exercise Induced Pulmonary Hypertension
I was diagnosed with Exercise Induced Pulmonary Hypertension at Mayo Clinic in 2006. Everything seemed to have been going along well. I had an echo every year to check on the pulmonary artery pressure, and each year there was an improvement.

However, the echo that I have just had a week or so ago stated that there was an 'increase in the size of the right ventricle since the last echo in 2009' and I wondered what exactly that means. I presume it is not too serious as nobody has contacted me.

Would appreciate an explanation of what this is.

Thank you.

M

Pulmonary hypertension indicates the degree of resistence the right ventrical is pumping against. The higher than normal resistence can be due pulonary vewsel constriction, occlusion, or clots (thrombosis).  And/or the lungs offer more than normal resistence due to embolism (clots) or other pulmonary issues.  The increased resistence causes the right ventrical to increase in size due to the additional burden.  

An advanced condition of an enlarged right ventricle can cause the right ventricle to lose pumping strength and less blood is pumped to the lungs.  The decrease in blood to the lungs reduces the blood to the left ventricle, and this decrease can/will cause heart failure.  Worst case scenario.

Hope this helps. Thanks for you question and if you have any followup questions you are welcome to respond.  Take care.

n the pulms due pumping against a high resistence for the right ventricle to pump against
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

Very useful information that I will discuss with my doctor.
You are certainly welcome, and thanks for your response.  I wish you well going forward.