Exercise Pulse Rate 240+ Dangerous??
I am a 17yr old female and today for the first time i went to the gym and after 20mins of intensive cardio the trainer timed me while i checked my pulse for 10 seconds straight after working out. It was beating so many times and so fast i lost count so she did it and got 40 beats/10seconds=240/bpm. She was worried and called the manager to check it, they advised i tell my mum and go to a doctor to get it checked out. They also said i could have a 'double heart beat' or soemthing? As there was one strong beat then a softer one.
I am not unfit i play tennis once or twice per week and run at least once a week but have never thought to check my puls after excersising before.
Is it dangerous to continue going to the gym before i see a doctor? what would a high pulse rate do?
The condition you describe may be medically called an arrhythmia (fast and irregular heartbeat).  The danger of a very fast heartbeat is the risk of the heart's inability to have enough time to adequately fill with oxygenated blood and as a result there can/will be reduced cardiac output that would cause a serious medical condition and symptoms of shortness of breath,  Chest pain, Dizziness,  Lightheadedness, Fainting or near fainting, Blackouts, cardiac arrest, etc.

The fact your tachycardia (fast heartbeat) is the result of exercise and not very, very fast may bode well for not being a serious health problem.  You should see a cardiologist before resuming any strenuous activity. If one is not in good physical condition and that  could be an underlying cause.

Thanks for sharing.  Hope this helps and take care.