Heart Disease Expert Forum
Exercise induced injury Dissectio of Right Carotid Artery

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I participated in a "novice" weightlifting competition at a Crossfit gym. After doing a "max lift". Where you lift until you are unable I began having headaches, followed by mild stroke symptoms and then more serious stroke symptoms. Hospitalizing me for 3 weeks. Is this indeed caused by the overlifting of the extreme weight? Will I ever be able to work out again? I used to change my oil, paint my house, carry heavy objects, workout 6 days/week (which I really miss). Will the artery repair?  I was told blood clot would be there indefinitely, ? So many questions I hardly know where to start!
Hello. I am sorry about the problem that you are having. Nobody can diagnose through internet but generally speaking, the recommendations for a carotid dissection will depend on its evolution in the follow up done with images of the artery (ultrasound, CT scan or MRI). You probably already know that will need to take blood thinners for at least 6 months and high impact sports are not recommended while on that type of treatment. Also is hard to know if it was the heavy weight lifting with the rise of blood pressure what caused the problem or it was a specific movement done with your neck at that time. I would not recommend you to continue that type of work out in the future and concentrate in aerobic exercise once you are cleared by your doctors. In terms of the clot resolution, it may dissolve over time so blood thinners are very important at this time. The wall of the artery may repair by itself but that will depend on the type and length of dissection. Take care
I didn't know any exercise would be possible again. I also wish I had known there were those types of risks when weightlifting. I feel I should have been warned of the potential dangers. Thank you for the information and your participation on this site.