Heart Disease Community
Exercised Induced SVT

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Exercised Induced SVT

It started 4 years ago. I was on a 6 mile run and toward the end of the workout my heart rate jumped from its level 145 bpm to 215 bpm. I got dizzy and lightheaded. Over time I learned I had exercise induced SVT. Two years ago I had an RF ablation at NY Hospital After several hours the Electro Physiology Cardiologist said he couldn't find the problem and therefore couldn't ablate. The problem continued. I went on 25 mg of Atenolol and that got me to fewer SVTs during a run. I had another attempted RF Ablation in July and that, too, was unsuccessful. I'm back trying to run but, even at a very slow pace, I can run about 1.5 miles then my HR jumps over 200. It takes a minute or two to return to normal and I begin running again. When ever I stop running and walk, after about one minute, the SVT hits during the walk and stays over 200 bpm for over a minute before calming dow. Any thoughts on the next procedure I should try or what??? I am 66 years old

This discussion is related to Exercise induced SVT.
I see that you posted a long time ago but I am replying anyway.  I am a 32 year old female and I believe that I have the same SVT as you.  I first noticed it as a teen when I would run competitively.  At the time my Dr. diagnosed me with activity-induced asthma but now, many years later I believe it was the SVT that I have now been diagnosed with.  When I exercise (usually running) my heartrate will jump up to 260+ bpm.  It usually (but not always) happens right after I stop running and start walking, but on occasion it will happen while I am still running.  My chest starts hurting, I become dizzy and nauseous (sp?) I was put on a low dose of atenelol as well but am now off of it because I have two toddlers and don't have much time for running.  The Dr. suggested ablation but I am not at a place where I need that right now.  I am happy to see that there are others out there with activity-induced SVT because all my research seems to show that exercise shouldn't induce SVT.  The heart specialist I saw also said that SVT is rarely caused by exercise so finding out about what I have can be a pain.
i would love an update on how your SVT is and any treatments you may have undergone recently.  Thanks, Sarah
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
SassyLassie commented on photo
Apr 16
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
Apr 16
SassyLassie commented on photo
Apr 16