Heart Disease Community
Exericse induced hypertension???

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Exericse induced hypertension???

I am a 27 year old healthy adult (BMI 18.1, normal cholesterol levels, resting BP 125/66, RHR 55, etc). I have exercised regularily my entire life, combining both jogging and weight training. In the past year, I have had strange symptoms after I finish exercising. At the end of my exericse session (which typically lasts roughly 30-45 minutes), anywhere from 10 minutes after to roughly 20 minutes, I get a great deal of pressure in my ears, a loud roaring sound and hearing loss, and then extreme vertigo/dizziness to the point where I have to lay down flat on the ground, in which the dizziness/vertigo subsides within a few minutes. I have had every hearing/ear test available, passing all of them with flying colors. So my ENT sent my to a neurologist under the impression that it could be a problem related to a lack of bloodflow to my brain. The Nuerologist sent me to a cardiologist because he felt that the fact that when I lay down flat, the symptoms go away, indicating something involving my heart and its ability to transport blood to my brain after exericse. The cardiologists ordered numerous tests, including the Bruce protocol stress test. During the bruce protocol, I went to the end of the 5th stage, at which point the doctor stopped the test because my BP reached 206/101 (an rather large increase from my resting BP of 125/66). I have 9 years of education in the area of Kinesiology and public health, and I had always assumed I was healthy because I exercise regularily and eat healthy... But now I am concerned... Any advice? Or suggestions?? Should I stop exercising??? I have not recieved the official results from any tests yet (I just took two of them yesterday)... Thank you in advance for any insight you may be able to provide.  
I would stop exercising until you get your tests results.  Heart problems and /or high cholesterol levels (which can cause numerous heart problems) can be hereditary also.  In which case, although you're doing everything to have a healthy heart, heredity may be hitting you.  Do you have heart problems in your family?  Since your BP rose so high (very high) during the Bruce, it's also rising when you exercise, and you may be putting your health at risk.  Rest for now, and see what your tests reveal.  I'm surprised that the ENT sent you to a neurologist, lack of blood flow to the brain is usually heart related.  
Thank you for your response. I do have some family hx of heart problems, both of my parents have high blood pressure, although with my mom the doctors felt it was more stress related. My maternal grandfather had arthrosclerosis which led to him having a major strokes (as well as a few minor strokes), and a heart attack (following the stroke), which is what took his life... Thanks again!!!
I was diagnosed with "exercise related labile hypertension".  My problems begain when I was 28.  I also exercised regularly, was 5'2", 105 lbs, but suddenly began having headaches and nose bleeds after just a 1 mile walk.  I was diagnosed with essential hypertension.  My problems continued and even got worse until in my mid to late 40's the problem was identified as exercise related.  My general practicioner sent me to a nephrologist who thought I may have a blockage in an artery to a kidney.  They did a renal angiogram, and did find a small artery to the kidney causing the problem, but nothing that could be repaired by angioplasty, just genetically small arteries.  They also found the renin level in my kidney to be very high due to the small artery.  Ace inhibitors work the best for me, but due to side effects was taken off them. I currently take Atenol, but I'm not very well controlled.