Heart Disease Expert Forum
Exertion chest pain=heart attack?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Exertion chest pain=heart attack?
I read this answer to a question on the exercise forum and am concerned.

"The pain you are experiencing at high heart rates is caused by a lack of oxygen. The heart is racing to the point that it's need for oxygen is greater than the supply and you get pain. When you slow down the oxygen levels rise and the pain goes away. If this continues you can suffer from a "mini heart attack" which is without symptoms, but can leave heart damage"

I am out of shape and am trying to increase my endurance and fitness levels.  Sometimes when I increase my exertion level, I do get out of breath and my heart really races and I have to rest.  How dangerous is this?  Is the above post true?
Dutchess,

Thanks for the post.

What the above post alludes to is what is called angina. Angina comes about from limitations of blood supply to the heart muscle. In some people, blockage of the artery limits the amount of blood supplied to the heart muscle which needs to increase during exercise. This can lead to symptoms of chest pain or shortness of breath.

The most common cause of shortness of breath and fatigue with exercise is usually related to conditioning. My recommendation would be to check with your physician before undertaking any type of new exercise program. If you are at risk for coronary disease, he/she may want to do a stress test before you undertake a new program. For those already exercising, a marked change in the amount of exercise or activity for the worse, or the new onset of chest pain should promt you to seek medical attention.

good luck
May I please ask if you know of any hospital in the Philippines using the special angioplasty catheter that has a basket-like component collecting calcified particles during andiogram and andioplasty?  I am here in the Manila, makati and ortigas area and my Mom eventually may require andioplasty.

Thanks,
Jerry EU

Anyone answering this may post through my email ***@****.  Thanks