Heart Disease Expert Forum
Experiencing PAC''s after ablation for atrial fib

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I have had pulmonary vein isolation for atrial fibrillation in December.  Felt long runs of atrial fib post surgery and was told this is common.  I had to wait three months out to see if my surgery was a "success".  Was on Flecanide and atenalol for six years pre ablation, and was placed on Tikosyn and still on atenalol several months before ablation when my atrial fib became worse.  Went to my heart specialist yesterday and he informed me he doesn't believe I have atrial fibrillation at this time rather I am experiencing PAC's.  It is TERRIBLE when I lay down to go to sleep.  I  am currently wearing a holter moniter for 48 hours, and am so glad that it's capturing these PAC's.  PAC's, to me, feels similar to atrial fibrillation.  My doctor says if these PAC's are bad enough possibly going back on Flecanide will help or he may do another ablation.  I truly thought my heart problems would be over in December after being on a three month waiting list at the Cleveland Clinic for my ablation.  I didn't want to be on heart medications for the rest of my life, and the ablation was not a pleasant experience at all!  However, I will gladly have another ablation if it will alleviate these terrible symptoms.  Medication versus ablation........???? Please respond with your comment.....I would truly appreciate your advice or input.  Thank you!!!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello, yes Afib is something that is tough to deal with for the patient and even the doctors at times. It is something that can take time to deal with even after a ablation.  It has been 4 months since your ablation and now that you are not having more runs of Afib that is the good news so far, but remember it is still early and inflammation may still be playing a factor with your current issues. I think for the short term medications would be something to consider and if the PACs still are a major issue in the future than would reconsider another ablation at that time. It does seem to be frustrating at times for many patients and realize you are not alone but this is something that take time so just be patient and try to take it one step at a time. In short, i think medications for now and if these issues continue to be a issue than another ablation may be something to consider but i think since it has only been 4 mths give the inflammation more time to heal and continue to monitor.
Hope this helps and let me know if anymore questions were to arise