Extreme fatigue, slow heart rate and diagnosis of tachy-brady syndrome
I have been experiencing extreme fatigue for about 1 year along with a slow heart rate. I now regularly get readings of 47-52 bpm. After a 24 hour holter monitoring it was determined that I also experience occasional episodes of racing but I am not aware of them. Interpretation included: basic cardiac rhythm was sinus with intermittent episodes of sinus arrthythmia (PR: .17 seconds)and on one occation symtoms were associated with ectopy and heart rates of 55 and 63 bpm. My GP tells me I have tachy-brady syndrome but he does not feel my condition is bad enough to warrent a pacemaker. He does not think I need to see a cardiologist because he says I would be told the same thing. We have done MANY other tests to determine the cause of my fatigue but have not found anything. I did go to a sleep disorder clinic where it was deteermined that I have mild sleep apnea and have been using a cpap machine for about 3 months but it has not provided any relief for my fatigue. During the 2 nights I spent at the sleep clinic my mean heart rate at night was 37. I exercise moderately going to Curves 3 times a week but even after exercise my heart rate remains low. I believe that my slow heart rate and the fatigue are related but I am not sure what to do about it. I would appreciate any suggestions.
i would see a cardiiologist...actually and electrophysiologist ( a cardio that specializes in heart rythyms).
I agre with Al. It's a good idea to see a cardiologist or EP and have your heart evaluated. But I do tend to agree with your doc that a resting heart rate of about 50 shouldn't by itself make you very tired (my resting HR is normally in the low 50's and I feel fine) . The cardiologist would be a better judge of that, of course. Meanwhile I wouldn't give up on your GP.  It may well be that as he says, something else is causing your tiredness.  You should keep looking until it's resolved.
My husband Stuart suffers similar symptoms to you. He expereinced low heart rate and tiredness his cardiologist eventually decided to implant a pacer that helped a great deal but also had ablation for atrail flutter as the tiredness came back. His diagnosis is sick sinus syndrome. My suggestion is to keep asking questions and keep demanding answers.