Heart Disease Expert Forum
Face and arm numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Face and arm numbness

I am 28 years and have had  numbness on the left hand side of my face. Along with this often is a a weak left arm and recently have been getting a mild pain or dull ache in the upper part of my chest on both the right and left sides but not together. The first occurence was about 8 years ago for a few days and I was told it was probably stress which could have been true. Over the last few years I have gotten it once or twice every six months lasting anywhere from an a few minutes to a few hours over a day or two then to disappear. More recently I have had the numbness more than usual about three times in the last two weeks  with the dull ache in my chest every other day. I don't feel that over the time I have had it that I can link it to stress and feel there must be some other reasons and I wouldbe very grateful if you could help me understand this.
gracie,

Your problem doesnt sound cardiac related. A neurologic evaluation might be of help, but I would start with a thorough history and physical with a primary internal medicine specialist.

good luck
I totally know what you're going through! I'm 24 and I've been having numbness in face, arm, pain in chest for quite some time now. They've tested my heart - which they say is fine...and I've had an MRI on my brain and neck - there are no pinched nerves. The MRI showed some tiny spots...but they said this is common and may be nothing. However, I will have another MRI in about 6 months to a year to see if there are any changes in the spots. So now I'm back to square one...I'm still having these symptoms. And I have no answers. I'm on medication for Anxiety, and this doesn't make my symptoms any less. So I don't know why I'm getting them! I hope you find an answer!
Avatar n tn
I have had the same problem for many years.I recently had an MRA done and it shows a blockage in my subclavian arterty.
A related discussion, Warnings or preventions was started.