Factor V and CHD
I've been tested positive for Factor V Leiden, which means that my blood is prone to clotting. I've been fainting recently, and my cardiologist told me to come back and test for coronary heart disease, which is where cholesteral plaque builds up and causes tiny blood clots. I don't know if I have it yet, but it seems likely due to the Factor V. Are these two things related?
There was some data published in the journal 'coronary artery disease' that suggests Factor V Leiden may play a role in CHD that occurs in young people . The study suggests that people who required coronary bypass surgery below the age of 35 may be more likely to have the Factor V leiden mutation than the general population.
The incidence of factor V Leiden mutation in the coronary bypass group (21 patients) was 23.8% while the incidence in the healthy control group (50 patients) was 2%.
So there may between CHD and Factor V Leiden although the study numbers were small so it's by no means proven.
There's probably other data out there that I'm not aware of.