Heart Disease Community
Failed graft ?

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Failed graft ?

In 2005 I had a double bypass. My blockage was in the left main. In 2006 I had a stent put in . I think either the left main or LAD. I was told that the lima graft failed to mature. I was told that my LAD is very small and diffused and there is a 40 % percent  blockage in the circumflex also some small blockage in the RCA. I have been told by many DRs that the bypass surgery failed because of the LIMA graft and there is nothing more they can do because of the LAD being small and diffused.
    I was in the hospital not that long ago. I went to my reg Dr because of stomach pain and feeling sick to my stomach. The more we got to talking he didn't like it . He did a ekg and he said it was grossly abnormal and either I was having a heart attack or had one. They brought me across the street to the ER. They did another EKG and that DR said whatever happen it happened already. My blood work was negative and the dr said all the other EKS were fine. I have had many stress test that came out fine and then they did a angio and it was positive for something. I told the Dr this ( it was not my DR , mine DR is at a bigger hospital Northwestern in Chicago) he did a stress test and said it was negative. He then looked at my last angio done and said my heart was fine . I had a normal heart and he didn't know why they even did a stent.
    This has me and my family scared because 4 DRs have said otherwise and not we are not sure about anything he said. Do they consider the graft a failure if it is open but did not grow? One dr told me the graft only grows as big as it needs to . Is this true?
      Thank You,
        Chris
A graft is considered a failure when it cannot deliver blood to the vessel it's connected to. This can be because the bypass vessel has collapsed (not likely with a LIMA), or blocked with disease. Before they graft any vessel to your coronary arteries, they should check the condition of it, whether it has a good flow. Sometimes a graft can fail because they graft it to an area of your coronary artery with too much disease. I've not heard of a graft 'growing'.
How do you feel? do you get any discomforts in your chest at all?
  Thank you for replying . Yes I do get chest pain. In the last couple of weeks it has been more intense. On a pain scale about a 7. When I was in the hospital I had a nitro patch and still had to use nitro. When I walk I feel pain in my shoulder blade on the left and I am short of breath. I was told my LIMA was atretic. I would love to go to the Cleveland Clinic as I would feel like I would trust them but you know how insurances can be.
     Hope you are well,
      Chris