Heart Disease Expert Forum
Fast Heart Beat

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Fast Heart Beat

The other day while sitting at my computer, my heart starting beating so fast.  Very rarely does this occur, but this rapid beating lasted for well over an hour.  I had eaten some hummus and pita bread just prior to the palpatations.  Could this be a reaction to the food?
Dear Tee,

In general food allergies do not cause rapid heart-beats.  There are many causes of tachycardia  (fast heart beat) and they can be divided roughly into sinus (originating from the sinus node or heart
This was recently happening to me.

I wasn't really sure what was happening, it happened often. I took an EKG and it came out normal, and the 24h Holter Moniter came back as I have a few APCs in my sleep, which the doctor said was 'normal'.

During these 'spells' I had a shortness of breathe. The doctor also told me this could have been in my head, I came down with a Ear/Sinus infection, and after I got on Antibiotics it went away.

A few days ago I had a similar spell, sweating (was wearing a heavy coat), tighting breathing, but no palpatations. It died down after awhile when I could relax. I have a feeling it's all in my head, but I'm not really sure.

I'm currently on a prescription cough syrup because of a chestcold that I've been having. Cough and Phlem; which I was on a antibiotic for. I wanted to know how long prescription cough medication takes to work? I've been on it for about four days now, and my cough -seems- to be breaking up... breathing feels a bit more congested; I'm told that this is because it's breaking up.

Any help would be thankful!

Vitals: 16; Male; 265 pounds (I've went down from 285+ in the last month or so)
I am a 22 year old female.  I have just finished posting a message on the respiratory page, but now I think I should have posted it here.  I've been having chest pains for 10 months, with some pressure on my chest. I've had 3 EKG's and a cardiac stress test. Everything was normal.  My chest pain comes whenever it wants, and can be sharp or dull. Lasts for a few seconds.  I don't have to sit down or lay down when I get it, but sometimes it cuts of my breath because its shocking, I don't know if that makes sense. I've developed an anxiety disorder over this, and I seriously believe that I am going to die young.  I constantly see my doctor at the university, and I'm fed up with being in constant worry that I'm having heart problems.  She has assured me that I am fine, and my heart is fine, but its in the back of my mind. My mother died when I was 14 from heart complications at 45, and it scares me that I could be next.
My sternum hurts to the touch, and this makes me feel better, that I can feel the pain.  I don't know what to do anymore! Because everything was normal on my EKG's and my stress test, does that mean that I am fine, and I should just start to relax and get back to normal when I didn't worry about these things? Please help me.
Sweetie, dont worry so, this is very probably anxiety related, I should know, suffer from enough anxiety myself lol... If you had the tests and they are clear, then stop worrying.  Currently I've got stress related tachycardia, cos my girlfriend has been giving me the wrong sort of a hard time lol..apparently stress eventually can take out your regulatory system...anyone know anything about this ...

You'll be ok Krista

hugs

Ray.
JVB....your cough medicine could well contain a stimulant which could cause your heart rate to rise if you are sensitive to it.

Hankstar...interesting theory. Here in the UK they dont bother too much about us, in fact my local hospital in Romford Essex (oldchurch hospital) has one of the highest mortality rates in the whole of the UK...I think I'd better move house lol.
Try using Robitussin DM for cough. It does not contain any stimulants. I can not use any other meds for cough because others contain stimulants and cause palpitations.
I
That's what it seemed like; and I've been using cough medicine that hasn't done anything to me. (Robitussin DM is one of them)

Right now I'm still fighting this cough, feels like I've got deep chest congestion and my head still has some sinus pressure.

It's been like 1 1/2 months now, really frustrating, but I finally think it's breaking up.

It's just wierd, my breathing feels tight because of the congestion (atleast what the Dr. says). And the medicine I was on (just finished it) prescription version of Robitussin DM; I had constipation for awhile... which is one of the side effects (that I wasn't sure about).

I feel somewhat better; just want this chest-cold to go away!

well my problems all started when i was 18 and now im 30. i was diagnosed with a fast heart rate. tacyacardia and sinus tacycardia. then they put me on a beta blocker that i have took for around 4 yrs. since then they also said i have anxiety and panic disorder... to me i panic because i feel my heart going crazy and feeling funny. im so aware of every little wrong beat that it does. i have had so many test done. recently i went and had a stress test and have had echo done and they  turned out ok. but what concerns me the most is that in 1999 it says in my records that i had 2 ventricular beats. and im scared to death now. the cardioligist i seen is my new doctor and he was very concerned about this. thats when he ran these t est. also had a 24 holter monitor. and wouldnt you know nothng showed up on the test none of them. so he says he sees what they are saying but there is no proof so he cant besue that it is there. so im scared they are messing something becasue i feel terrible. and i worry constantly about dying. my father was 34 with his first heart attack. about the tacycardia the doctor said it was no big deal the one i have went to for the last few years.. so i took him at his word and just took a beta blocker now this new doctor which is a cardioligist cant find nothing so he dont know how to treat me. my heart beat is constantly up.. usually around 120 and sometimes up to 150 and im scared to death. and plus the palpatations... those scare me silly. so im living in fear.. not know if someting is really wrong with me or if its just tachyacardia by anxiety or what...any answers would be appreciated...christi
i am 27 years old,and have been diagnosed with panic and anxiety disorder.one of the first things i became anxious about was my hear racing at times.sometimes it is accompanied with chest pain,sweating and dizziness.also,sometimes my heart skips beats which has me worried all the time.i went to several doctors and they ran every test including a heart echo-all tests came back fine.but for some reason i cannot get past the fact that something must be wrong with me-everyday i panic from these symptoms.heart disease or high blood pressure does not run in my family,and i am only in my 20's-there is no reason for me to keep worrying,but i just can't seem to stop.life has become very miserable as i am always worried about dying.anyway,i just wanted to say that at least i'm not alone in feeling this way.thank you.
hi,
i read your posts and can certaintly empathize. 17 yrs ago i had my first tachycardic episode. shortly after this i developed panic disorder which was a living hell. it is the most terrifying thing to live with because it begins to control you at every level of your life. after i had my first child 13 years ago my symptoms became so much worse and i also developed pvcs which scared me so much. after an echo was done i was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse with moderate reguritation. after reading about mvp i discovered that many people with it also develope panic disorder because of a kink in the nervous system. i was so glad to hear that i was not causing the panic disorder. that it was not all in my head..it was very real. after the birth of my son 3 yrs ago i developed an arrithymia and put on quinidine. then 9 months later i had my last child and things got really bad. it is so frightening to feel like you are about to die at any minute. things are better now but i still have lots of pvcs. my new electrophysiologist wants to perform an ablation on me but i do not have medical insurance so that's out of the question.

when i first became symptomatic, i too developed a preoccupation with my symptoms which i know made them seem worse. it is not an easy thing to ignore the fast or wierd thumping in your chest or the dizziness, sweating, spaced out feeling, or the intense fear that can consume you. i have been panic free for 6 years now but i still feel the wierd symptoms i felt with it but without the fear or panic. i took paxil for 2 years and have not had one panic episode since.

i hope you two will begin to feel better again. my heart goes out to you because the fear you are feeling is very real.

Blessedx4
thanks alot for that comment.it does make me feel better to know that i'm not alone.the worst thing for me is that even though my heart does skip beats-physically there is nothing wrong with me.i've so many tests done and they all came back normal.doctor told me to just ignore the skipped heartbeats because it's nothing to be concerned with.`
  i think my problem is that with the panic and anxiety came a dreadful feeling that i would have an heart attack(even though there is no reason for me to think this).so,with the skipped heart beats-my mind races and i do the "what if" scenerio.
   anyway,i have alot of sympathy for what you are going through,and i feel bad because my prob are all in my head.i hope everything works out for you.congrats for being panic attack free for so long....there is hope for me too.thanks again and take care.
hi adrew,

why do you think your problems are all in your head? panic disorder can be caused by a chemical imbalance (serotonin) or from a kink in the autonomic nervous system. for the first 11 years that i suffered with severe panic disorder, which came out of the blue, i too thought i was somehow causing it. it is easy to believe you are responsible for the panic attacks when the drs can find nothing physically wrong. after living in torment for 11 years i contemplated suicide because the thought of living in constant overwhelming fear was just too much to bear. thankfully, i did not go through with it. i finally mustered up the courage to see a pyschiatrist. i was so ashamed to do so, but i had no reason to be ashamed. after explaining to him that i thought i was going crazy, the constant fear i felt and the loss of desire to live he told me that i was suffering from chemical imbalance and depression. he prescribed paxil and told me that i should be feeling better soon. he was right. for the first time in yrs i heard myself laughing. i took it for two yrs and weaned myself off it. i have been panic free since. i am not sure what paxil did for me, but i know God heard my prayers when i thought i could bear no more.

please don't feel that you are some how causing your panic attacks. i know what it feel like to be swallowed up by an all consuming fear. no one could be capable of causing that to themselves. it is almost impossible to sit back and ignore the waves of fear without help.

have you asked your dr about an taking an ssri such as paxil?

please let me know how you are doing!

Blessedx4
hi again.
  i think i may have caused a misunderstanding about that statement,"it's in my head".what i meant was my overwhelming fear of having a heart attack.i know deep down that i'm not going to have one(especially since i've had every test done).it's in my head-for me i think it is more of an emotional or mental state more than physical.i have been on paxil before,for almost a year,but i didn't like the side effects.actually,this was the time i started to notice the skipped heart beats.i took myself off it and all the panic and anxiety that the paxil had surpressed came rushing forth.now it's like i almost look for reasons to think something is physically wrong with me.i don't know,maybe i feel better if it was something physical that they could treat.having panic and anxiety depresses me to the point where i don't enjoy life anymore.it sounds crazy,but everyday i think i may have a heart attack.and then somedays i'll feel fine and i'll get a wierd pain or my heart will skip a beat,and then i'm back feeling anxious again.i hope u can understand this,i think u can.i'm going back to a phyciatrist this month-hopefully they can help me.today was a good day-not too much worry or anxiety.i'm glad to know i'm not alone with this.thanks so much for your answers.and i do look forward to hearing from u again.
hi andrew,
glad to hear you had a better day today. i do hope the psychiatrist will be able to help you. i first developed the fast heart rate and skipped beats then i developed panic disorder. after a while it was very difficult for me to distinquish if the panic disorder was causing my symptoms or if it was the other way around. either way, i became hypervigilent to the slightest changes in my body. one of the worse things i did was to become conscience of my breathing. this caused me to alter my normal breathing pattern which then caused me to hyperventilate. i also use to constantly take my pulse. which of course made me very aware of my heart rate etc. i use to also take my blood pressure over and over again because i was so fearful it would be high and that i would have a stroke. i use to also avoid any place that i had experienced a panic attack. soon there weren't many places i could go to. just the thought of getting into the car and driving sent me into an intense panic. i literally became a prisoner in my own home. i had to quit college three times because the panic was so severe i couldn't concentrate. i was certain i would collapse at school or worse make a total fool of myself. it became a torture trying to sit during class because the whole time all i could feel was my heart thumping wildly and erratically in my chest, my hands sweating profusely and my head spinning to the point i felt i would pass out. i remember every time i experienced chest pain, palpitations, flushing, dizziness, blurred vision , tachycardia etc. i thought i would have a heart attack. in fact i would not go anywhere if i knew an ambulance could not reach me immediately. i always felt better if someone was with me, but of course people have lives so that was not always possible.

i am sure you can relate to some of things i mentioned. it certaintly is a terrible way to live. i use to get so angry to think of all the valuable years i lost to this disorder. but i stopped thinking that way because it was only robbing more of my time.

let me know how you are doing. hopefully, the drs will be able to provide you with some help.

Blessedx4
Hey,

I've just been reading some of the anxiety comments. I understand what you mean by thinking its in your head. Like I said I am very fearful of having a heart attack. I am 22, and have had a few tests and everything is normal, but sometimes my whole left arm hurts, my left shoulder or even my chest. I get constant pressure on my chest most of the time. I know how horrible anxiety can be, thankfully I can still go outside and to different places, although every slight pain or weird feeling can make my mind do the 'what if' thing.
I'm on paxil as well. When my mother first died, they put me on paxil because I was slightly depressed. I took it for about 2 weeks, and noticed that I couldn't breath normally, or sleep. I'm on it again about 5 years later, and now I feel like I can't breath normally...would this have anything to do with the paxil, or is it something that I should ask more about. I've told my doctor about my breathing problems, but she isn't concerned about it.
hi again.i was reading your last comment and it totall sounded like me.i always feel safe if i'm with someone in case anything were to happen.i also constantly take my pulse,which has become pretty bad.and i'm always checking my blood pressure to make sure i won't have a stroke or heart attack.i know it sounds crazy,but i truely can't stop doing these thins.it's like they're now an habit.i'm so relieved that i'm not the only person who does these things.i also get the sweating,dizziness,worried feeling,tingling in my hands.my heart didn't skip beats alot today-that i know of anyway.
    i don't think i want to get back on paxil,but we'll see what doctors.sometimes, iknow that nothing physically is wrong with me,but it only takes 1 negative thought to change that.or some kind of annoying pain,and like we discussed,my mind starts doing the "what if",thing.
   anyway,thanks so much for all your help,and hope everything is good with you.till next time-take care.
You are probably aware that there is a discussion going on a bit further down on the relationship between anxiety, stress and palpitations. Just wanted to remind you there are other medications out there than Paxil (seroxat). In fact there are numerous SSRI's and people react differently to them. If Paxil doesn't work or give you bad side effects, tell your physician, and I'm sure he or she will try another. When I started on Paxil I felt my body was catching fire, it was horrific. Effexor however has given me a new life with no side effects. It seems like doctors always first start with Paxil, I don't know why?
I have the same problems..anyone interested in a e-mail buddy may reach me at ***@****
Blessedx4 I went through all of that as well, chronic pulse checking,bp monitoring..
it can be quite dehabilating..
when I have these 'anxiety' attacks, they are not really attacks...I seriously do not feel anxious, I just feel like I can't breath. Its a weird sensation in my chest that I get all the time. What I meant by paxil, is that I don't know if I"m having side effects, I have talked to my doctor about them, but they seem to be of no concern. I was just wondering if paxil can cause chest pressure, or it could be something else.
krista

If it is any comfort, I've had the symptom picture that you describe, and in my case I can assure you that it was all caused by anxiety. A feeling of breathlessness is very common and commonly caused by hyperventilation. Your O2/CO2 ratio gets to high because your breathing pattern is 'wrong'. It turns out that we anxious people often breath with our chest and not our stomach and this is a bad habit that makes us hyperventilate. Chest-breathing also strains our chest muscles, a common cause for chestpains. I would also like to add that anxiety is well-known to cause almost any somatic symptom you can think of, I don't think there is any limit to what it can cause. If you are dead-afraid of a heart attack (like I used to be), thrust me you can think-on the symptoms (chest pain, sweating, pain in your arm, palpitations, I've had them all). If you are afraid of a brain tumor, you can get headache and dizzyness and so on. If you still have the negative destructive thought pattern while on Paxil it can mean that this is not the right medication for you. There are so many SSRI's out there, and you may respond much better to another one. From my own experience, SSRI's work best in addition to good councelling. I wish you the best of luck and I understand how terrible you feel. Just don't forget that anxiety is highly treatable!

Thank you, your comment does make me feel a bit better. Since you said you've experienced anxiety, I was wondering can it be there all the time? The sensations that I feel all day are just a result of my anxiety?
That is how I feel about anxiety and panic..sensations everyday..its hard to accept..
Hello Krista,

Believe me that anxiety can be there day and night. In my case, I couldn't get my thaughts away from that there was something wrong with my heart. Those thaughts completely ruled my life and seriously prevented me from doing what I liked to do. I've been to numerous doctors both here in the US and in Norway and they all gave my heart an A+. Nevertheless, I couldn't believe it and I kept feeling for palpitations. And, why did I do that, because I was CONSTANTLY ANXIOUS that there was something wrong. This anxious state gave me of course more palpitations, it made me constantly lightheaded/dizzy and fatigued. I am convinced that anxiety is the problem for many of us palp sufferers and I have read much about it. I have read and my therapist have told me that if you constantly have negative and destructive thaughts your brain chemistry gets out of balance, in particular your serotonin levels become too low. There are two ways you can fix this. A therapist can help you change your pattern of thinking so that you think more positively and reject/correct your negative thaughts whenever they occur. If you can do this your serotonin level will gradually rise. This is in my experience difficult if you have been worried for your health for a long time. The best in my opinion is to find a SSRI THAT WORKS WELL FOR YOU, in combination with councelling. A SSRI makes it easier for you to change your negative thaughts into positive. This way both will help get your brain chemistry back to normal. I think it is very important to understand this.
That is also wy I almost never use xanax, valium or klonopin. They do nothing to restore the chemical balance in your brain (unless you have good councelling that works) and when you stop using them your brain chemistry is still out of balance and it all starts over again.

Right now, I'm on Effexor and it helps me alot. Understand that being on Effexor doesn't mean that I never experience palpitations and think destructively. The important thing is that because Effexor changes my brain chemistry it so helps me to refuse and reject the bad thaughts. On Effexor I never allow them to take control, and please realise that is how a SSRI is supposed to work. These meds will almost never remove all your anxiety (which is caused by your way of thinking negatively), but YOU will be able to stop the negative thinking spiral. Thereby I can live a normal life, not being afraid and avoiding things I like to do, I can exercise very vigorously again like I love to do. But on the medication it is of outmost importance that you are always alert and ALWAYS use the strength you have to reject the negative thaughts. For me it has also helped to realise that sooner or (hopefully!) later I'm gonna die and the world is going to continue just fine without me being around

Be aware that anxiety can mimic almost any disease, it basically depends on what you beleive is wrong with you. However, it is of course important that your doctor(s) come to this conclusion. Nobody should assume anxiety without first getting a medical exam.

Tell me if I you want any further info from me, and I'll be happy to help you
I was riding my mountain-bike yesterday (after not going for about 3 weeks), and I may have overdone it a bit. When I finished, I was just getting off the bike, and my heartbeat sped-up a lot. I took a deep breath and it got worse. It didn't slow down until I took short breaths. When my heartbeat sped-up I almost passed-out. All day today I have felt a discomfort in my chest. I am 31 and never had an experience like this.

What could it be?

Please e-mail me at ***@****.

Thank you.

Tom
Well, just wrote a VERY long post and aol signed me off and it got lost.

Sorry I will be back with some info for you.
i've had anxiety and panic problems for a very long time.i think i experienced every symptom.lightheadedness,dizziness,feeling like i'm about to pass out,tingling in my left arm-all the things associated with the fear of having a heart attack.sometimes i'm so obsessed and WORRIED about having a heart attack that it actually scares me to the point where i feel like i'm going to faint-which never happens.If i was going to have a heart attack or stroke it would have happened by now.this doesn't make me feel better when i'm in the anxious state of mind.It's the most horrible feeling i've ever had and sometimes it gets so bad it makes me cry.Today,for instance was not a good day.I felt "wierd" physically,and kept doing the "what if" scenerio.My mind races and i pretty much kept feeling dizzy.Not the kind of dizziness where the room spins,but more like i'm was going to pass out.this fear has of passing out and dying(heart attack,stroke,brain cancer seem to be my fear)has interfered with my life.i'm afraid to go out in public sometimes.The worst part is that this intense and constant fear has led me to be extremely depressed.Sometimes i don't think i will make it through the day.So,i definately know how everyone feels.i'm seeing doctor on friday-hopefully she can help me.
I was exactly like you when I found it necessary to go and see a doctor. Things might seem difficult for you know, but don't forget that this condition is highly treatable and we are many that suffer from the same. If your doctor want to give you Xanax and send you home to relax, I encourage you not to accept that. From my own experience I advice you to seek concelling. You probably also need an anti-depressant for a while since the long-term negative thinking means that your brain chemistry is out of balance. It is quite possible to stop the destructive negative what-if thinking pattern, but most of us anxiety and panic sufferers need help to learn how to do it. I whish you good luck.
I am a 42 year old male (160 pounds) who likes mountain biking and excersises several times a week.  I wear a heart rate monitor to gage my excertion when biking.  After a half hour or so of hard riding, my heart rate routinely jumps to over 200 bpm and has been as high as 215 bpm.  I occassionally suffer from shortness of breath and fatique - but it is hit-and-miss.  Some days I feel great.  My 24 hour averaged heart rate is around 95 bpm.  I have been diagnosed with a mild case of atrial tachacardia and have been giving a perscripion for a beta blocker.  I understand that can reduce resting heart rate.  I also hear that beta blockers can result in depression, which is something I am also prone to.  Are there alternatives if beta blocker is not effetive?
Thanks for the comment,reading your last few comments has helped me a great deal so i definately appreciate it.I have already been to a few doctors who ran tests,which were all negative.so,nothing physical is wrong with me.I just hope the meds will help me.sometimes i see no hope or light at the end of the tunnel.
    But,it definately helps to know i'm not alone.Thanks
Been on a beta blocker for three days - my heart rate is overall a lot lower.  I couldn't get it above 175 or so excercising where it had been 200-210 without meds.  Resting is down too but fluctuates pretty wildly (40 bpm - 90 bpm) over short periods of time.  But resting seems to center now around 50 or 60 (down from 80-100).   I feel a lot more sleepy and dizzy.  Also - by late afternoon -my heart rate seems to go back to where it was without medication.  I only take the med in the morning.  Thinking of trying to split it between morning and afternnon to see if it stabilizes more.  These symtoms (symptoms) normal?  Anyone have experience with Beta Blockers leading to anxiety or depressive episodes?
I have experienced bona fide panic attacks/disorder, as well as what I view as legitimate tachycardia not caused by panic.  

What I would like to state is that I was on a beta blocker (Toprol) for over a year and it helped my tachycardia greatly.  It was a little rough-going getting used to it in the beginning, but after about two months, I didn't notice anything.  I am prone to depression, also, but I don't recall that Toprol affected me in this way.  It made me tired in the beginning and I felt a bit out of sorts, but that was about it.  For what it's worth, I think it also changed my bowel habits, too.

For those of you suffering from depression/anxiety, I do HIGHLY RECOMMEND Celexa, a newer anti-depressant (AD).  I was SO VERY FEARFUL of going on an anti-depressant due to my heart history.  I was petrified of having an AD affect my heart rate, as I believe I had heard this was a possible side effect with SSRIs.  However, my psychiatrist told me that Celexa didn't have the CARDIO side effects that other SSRIs did, and sure enough, I did fine.  Being a depressed person, who suffered DAILY (yes, daily) with panic attacks for 13 years, I have to say Celexa REALLY helped me.

I am currently off all medication (YAY) because my husband and I are thinking of having a child (though my cardiologist said Toprol should be safe if I really needed it.)  So far, praise God, I have not had any effects of coming off the beta blocker that I was on.  I thought my heart would act up, but it didn't NOT AT ALL.  In fact, it was harder getting of the Celexa.  I am starting to feel irritable and not as even-keel as I was.  

I could really relate to so many of the posts here, especially "blessedx5"  (or was it 4?)  Been there done that, over and over again.  

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!
Is one's pulse rate a subject to be included here?
If the pulse rate can be included, please answer the following.  I am a 63-year old female who is in very good health.  I do take a thyroid suplement daily, but other than that I do not take any medications.  I do take vitamins and minerals on a daily basis.  I am 5' 6 3/4" and weigh approx. 160 lbs.  I do not exercise on a regular basis.  My blood pressure reading is currently 126/75 and my pulse rate is around 97.  Is my pulse rate too high?
A normal resting pulse rate for an adult is 50 to 100 bpm.Sometimes it's a little higher based on stress or anxiety.I'm 27 and my pulse rate is usually 85 to 95.Hope that answered your question
Is there anthing one can do to lower the pulse rate and keep it lowered?
It depends on what is causing the high pulse rate.If your pulse rate is 96,thaen that's not really high.If anxiety or stress are to blame then you should try to aleviate some of that stress.Avoid caffine and other stimulants,like soda,coffee,etc.
I have had supraventricular tachycardia for many years.  I am now 63 years old and still have the problem occasionally.  My heart rate goes to 195 per minute and blood pressure of course drops and usually stops at around 90 over 80.  My resting heart rate is around 56 and resting blood pressure around 115 over mid 70's.  When I have tachycardia it last up to 1 hour and 40 minutes.  I have had every test known to man and have been treated with a variety of medications and the only one that ever helped me was Calan 240 mgs.  May not be what you need, but sure helped me.  Good luck!
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on here, and i just have to say what a relief it is knowing were not alone.
I have suffered from anxiety attacts and had all the symptoms with the fear of having a heart attack and all. I am fortunate (knowck on wood ) to not have as many episodes in the last year or so.
I really believe that PANIC DISORDER is nothing physical.
I have taken no drugs and had no councelling at all to help me with this problem. What is it you ask that helped me?

My mind!!! Its Mind over matter baby! I believe that if you think long and hard enough that something bad will happen to you, it eventually will. So ya need to relax. Think positive!
Now if something happens to me like some discomfort in my chest i just shrug it off and keep my mind on something else positive that i have intrest in. You may want to take up a hobby or something. The point im trying to make here is You have to keep yourself busy! Make no time for panick on your schedule. Just be mentally pre-occupied with something else.
It worked for me, and believe me i was a classic case of panic.
One day i just decided i had enough of losing this battle and got mad every time panic happened. I DID NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO ME AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU! you can do it people! you can beat it!
you know you can, and so do I.
Get mad!!! get smart!! and get back to a better life!!
I will see you all at the winners circle.  :)

peace!
That's all well and good.And a very nice theory,but some people have chemical inbalances in their brain.The only thing to help level the chemicals is medication.The medication can help the person lead their minds to more positive thinking and ultimately get off meds.I'm sorry,but it's just not that simple.I guess different methods work for different people.For me,my panic and anxiety was so bad that there were times when I didn;t think I was going to make it through the day,but I did.And it would start all over again the next day.There was no end to it.
   So,positive thinking is a good theory,but for most people with anxiety and panic(and even depression),we need a little help getting to that stage where we can think positive.I'm glad this worked for you and it's great you're doing good.
    Take Care.
Hi, I'm a road biker with the same condition.  My heart rate while riding my bike was 230 beats per minute, when I would walk up 2 flights of steps it would get to 200 and while curling my hair it would be at 170.  I've been on 2 medications one is verapamil, digitek and now put on a third which I think is a beta blocker or calcium blocker.  I just took the first dosage of 1/4 of the pill last night (5/22/02).  I have felt a bit tired all day and a little dizzy.  I don't know of anyone else on these medications and figured I could keep in touch with you a bit to see how you are doing.  I'm 37 and try to bike ride at least 1 to 2 times a week.  The longest ride I have completed in the past year has beem 77 miles.  This to me was great.  Hope things go well for you.  I'm afraid of the depression side affect.  I am depressed enough at my job.  This is all I need is to have a medicine make me worse.
Hi, I have the same condition as MTN BIKER, My heart rate while riding was 230 beats per minute, while walking up 2 flights of steps 200 and while curling my hair would be 170 and resting wast 114.  I have been on 2 medications for approximately 1 year (verapimil & digitek)  Just yesterday 5-22-02 I am now taking a beta blocker or calcium blocker.  I only took 1/4 of the pill and all day I have felt tired.  I don't know of anyone else on these medications so I felt it would be good to exchange symptoms.  I'm depressed at my job enough.  This is all I need is a medicine to make me worse!!

since last august i get this weird thing happening but only about once a month...

im asleep and im dreaming that my heart just suddenly starts pumping fast...
and it wakes me up....
when im awake i realize that its really beating fast....

then i totally freak out cause i suffer from anxiety too...
the first time it happened i was convinced that it was a heart attack....

i do get palpitations...
but not as often anymore since i quit coffee and milk and try to get 8 hours of sleep....
the weird think it i never have the fast heartbeat when im awake...

anyone else have this symptom?

I am so relieved after reading your postings.  I am currently printing the posting for my boyfriend.  It is very hard to explain the fear that we live with.  I have done a lot of research on my condition (inappropriate sinus tachycardia) mostly out of fear.  I have always been scared that I was misdiagnosed and that it was something much more serious.  I was originally diagnosed with panic disorder but after the doctors could not get my heart rate down they brought in a cardiologist.  The cardiologist sent me for a "Tilt Test".  I have had this test done twice and both times they determined that I have inappropriate sinus tachycardia.  Has anyone else had this test?  I am curious about how you were diagnosed with the condition since I have not heard any mention this test so far.

My second questions is this.  When I first went to the hospital after dizziness and numbness in my left arm the doctors ran multiple tests on my heart.  After being unable to lower my heart rate (it was at about 100 bpm) and an "abnormal" EKG they brought in a cardiologist.  If my EKG came back "somewhat abnormal" (as it was explained to me), doesn't that indicate that something else was wrong?  However, as soon as the cardiologist saw me he immediately told me that I have inappropriate sinus tachycardia and sent my for my first Tilt test.  I have not heard any mention of anyone having an abnormal EKG.  Since I share in most of your fears of having a heart attach I constantly worry about that abnormal EKG over 3 years ago.  I have had over 10 EKGs since then and they have been fine.

A related discussion, heart problems :( anyone help me with my questions? xx was started.
My name's Haleh, and I'm 19 years old. Last night I had such a disturbing experience regarding my heart. I was lying in bed, about to drift off to sleep when I suddenly had this feeling of being high. I felt like I was on drugs, out of nowhere, and then my heart started POUNDING, and was beating incredibly fast. It scared me! I didn't move because I didn't wanna make my heartbeat go any faster in fear of a heart attack or something. My heart was like THUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMP, like it was going a million miles an hour. I'm really surprised nothing serious happened. But anyway, as I felt this drugged up sensation along with my rapid heartbeat, I heard voices in my head. They weren't speaking, it was a bunch of female voices going "RAWR" over and over again. I closed my eyes and took a really deep breath and got up. Right when I got up, everything was back to normal. I felt my heartbeat on my neck, and it was still kind of fast, as if I just got done exercising, but not nearly as fast as it was a few moments ago. I'm really worried! Can anyone tell me what this might be?
A related discussion, To xqueeniex was started.
A related discussion, very rapid heart beat and out of breath was started.