Aa
A
A
Close
Fast heart rate after Valve Surgery
I had an aortic valve replacement in June of 2010. By the end of July, my heart rate, after being in the 60's-70's all my life, jumped up to 109 and has stayed high ever since. It is always higher in the morning. My cardiologist dismisses my concerns...what should I do? See another cardiologist? I am currently on Metaprolol. I thought the HR would go DOWN after the surgery, but it seems to be getting worse. Thank you for answering my question!!
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
367994 tn?1304957193
A scenario that could be the cause of the faster than normal heart rate would be the cardiac output is reduced (aorta valve has back flow of blood...regurgitation) and less blood is pumped into circulation with each stroke. The decrease of CO would cause the heart to pump faster to meet the oxygenated demand by the body system that would have been met if there was no back flow.

You should have an echo with doppler software to evaluate the integrity of the valve replacement. At least rule that out.  There can be other causes, but the fast heart rate should be considered worthy of a diagnosis.

Thanks for sharing, and if you have any followup questions or comments you are welcome to respond.  Take care.

Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1318997813
Blank
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1480750569
Blank
Netherlands