Heart Disease Community
Fast heart rate

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Fast heart rate

My heart races from time to time. When I check it, it's between 180 to 190 beats a min. when it's happening. I get light headed and short of breath, sometimes when I press on my chest, it hurts into my back. I have high blood pressure, but it's under control. What is wrong with me?? Should I be concerned? This has been going on for about 3 months now.
I would see a doctor.  Is this happening when you're sitting down or otherwise having no reason for a fast heart rate?

I have supraventricular tachycardia, and my rate is usually 180-is during those episodes.  If that's what it is, it may or may not need treated, but it definitely needs to be diagnosed.
Avatar n tn
No there is no reason for it. It can happen anytime and just happened about an hour ago when I was watching tv. My heart started thumping and I could feel myself physically moving with it. I could not draw a deep breath. It lasts anywhere from a minute to up to 10 minutes.
you should make an appointment with your doctor to discuss your symptoms. How often does this happen? daily? Ide request a holter monitor first and foremost. And probably an echo.. If you dont have an episode while wearing the holter, ask for an event monitor.. Supraventricular tachycardia is a type of arrhythmia effecting the top chambers of the heart.. It may or may not need treatment, but yes it should definatly be diagnosed and you should be rechecked by echo for any structural heart abnormalities
Avatar n tn
What is supraventricular tachycardia?
What college girl said :)

It's a rapid heart rate that originates in the upper chambers of the heart.  Definitely get a diagnosis.  I'm not saying you have this, I'm just saying that it sounds like what I have, and what I have is supraventricular tachycardia.