Feeling my heart beat
I've had what I thought were palpitations for five days.  Went to the cardiologist today.  EKG was normal; pulse was normal.  Determination was that I had had a reaction to mixed medications (Ambien CR and Butalbital).  But the feeling has not lessened any.  It's not a skipped beat.  It's that I can FEEL and HEAR my heart beat, and it seems very strong -- something I've never experienced before.  I'm very anxious.  Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?  Thank you.
hiya,
yup. sounds TOTALLY familiar to me. people often feel sensations like the ones you're experiencing. palpitations are a simple awareness of your heart beat, and though freaky and uncomfortable, it's not at all dangerous.
your heart beat is probably strong due to the mixing of meds, and will recede with a bit of time. it takes the body a while to get things back to normal.
i remember when i first had this sensation, and i was scared out of my mind. i have an arrythmia, which made the awareness of my heart's uneven beating all the more disconcerting.
you did the right thing by going to the cardiologist, and trust in what he/she tells you about the test results. read through the forum, and you'll see how common this discomfort is.
it's difficult, but try not to focus too much on it---it'll just add to your overall stress level.
i hope that you feel better soon, and don't worry! :)
heather
I feel it on occasion...in my feet, my head...my neck. Its freaky, but I think its pretty  harmless
My heart beat seems "loud" when I'm having fluid retention issues. Of course at night in bed when all is still it's easy to feel/sense it in various body parts. Some nights it's hard to get comfortable because any pressure on my hands or near my ears I'll feel/hear the thumps. Last year my primary doc was so concerned about my loud beat in my abdomen she sent me for an echo. Guess she thought I had some kind of aneurysm. Nope, all was well. But she could see the pulse in my belly. Hee-hee.
Here's a link where a cardiologist provides an explanation:

http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/arrhythmias/a/palpitations.htm
All of you are wonderful!!!  I feel a million times better having read your comments.  Just knowing that what I'm feeling is what others feel will relieve my anxiety.  This patient-to-patient feedback is remarkable.  I'm so glad I "tuned in."  My heartfelt (good word, huh?) thanks to all of you for taking the time to share with me.
Yup.....over various times in my life I've been aware of my heart beat.....particularly in stressful situations.....or during quiet times like going to sleep.

Also as a result of medications........or flu.....

and more recently after losing lost of weight but still lifting in the gym..........a strong heart but with little fat left around the torso I feel it even more...

However, I've been diagnoised with lone a fib so some of the medications that didn't work for me really caused some of those beating issues...

Also, stimulants, a large meal.........lots of sugary snacks and you will feel it.....

Once I ate a half gallon of ice cream (back when I was bigger) and could feel it pounding away!

Nowadays, I eat light healthy low gylcemic index meals and avoid as many stimulants and/or chemicals in my diet as possible, I only drink water and mostly distilled when I can get it..........I suggest if you have any heart sensations that you don't like......make lifestyle changes for healthy heart eating first and see if it helps over time.........