Heart Disease Expert Forum
Femoral nerve damage from heart cath

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Femoral nerve damage from heart cath

I had a heart cath done in Nov. of 2003 and five hours after the procedure I developed a hematoma the size of a tennis ball in my groin.  It was manually worked out by two big male nurses in the cath lab from my groin all the way down to my knee.  I complained right from the begining to my doctor and he said it was the blood left from the hematoma. Finallay after two months of complaining ot him he started tests to find out what was wrong.  I have had a vascular ultrasound which was normal, then I had an MRI which showed scarring close to the femoral nerve,then i had an EMG which came back as femoral nerve palsy and a conduction block. My question is was the procedure done incorrectly to result in the hematoma? I can only walk for about 20 min.,have pain from my groin to my knee, and pressure in my groin were the procedure was done.  I have been out of work going into my 8th month. I was wondering if this could be permanent and if anybody else has been though this with a remedy.
twincam,

sorry to hear of your ordeal.

Bleeding is a complication of heart catheterization.  You have a very severe sequelae from your event.  Even with the most meticulous care, the puncture of the artery is still a blind event and can result in bleeding in the most experienced hands.  Factors that increase the risk of bleeding include obesity and the use of various blood thinners.

I would work with a neurologist and a rehabilitation specialist to try to attempt to get you back to work.

good luck
My cardiologist always wants to do another cath on me to assess the situation.

I always tell him that I can't take a chance on messing up my femoral artery, as my legs and agressive cholesterol meds are keeping me alive.

Both times that I was cathed it took about a month to get back to normal - of course that's nothing like your situation.

I just don't think that the risk is properly assessed or related to patients prior to these procedures.

Good Luck.
Seek out a second opinion from another cardiologist.  Do some research and find the best in your area.  Travel to another area if necessary.  If another cath is necessary, perhaps you can find someone that will use the wrist or elbow for access instead of the groin.
I had an angioplasty with stent installed in 2002.  the closure had a leak and the hospital staff in working on that, used a hemostat to apply pressure and caused a clot to form.  I needed surgery within that month to repair the damage. I had femoral nerve damage, which still exists...over two years ago. Tingling and sensitivity from the groin area down to my knee.  I too am afraid to have any futher type cath work in the future.
A related discussion, hematoma was started.
A related discussion, compensation? was started.