Heart Disease Expert Forum
Fibrillation less than 2 weeks after ablation procedure

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

My dad had an ablation procedure in '09 that was unsuccessful and just had his 2nd one this month. Less than 2 weeks after his ablation, he went into fibrillation that lasted about 12 hours. Is this a sign that the procedure did not work? He is very concerned.

Many thanks!
Please go to this very helpful Forum/Bulletin Board - for A-Fib.  It was entented for Lone Afibbers - that's people who have A-Fib but no other issues.  Now - you will find a vast knowledge from people of all walks of life from all issues relative to health - beginning with Atrial Fibrillation.  It is a must see website.

http://www.afibbers.org/toboards.htm

You will be prompted for a Username and Password.  That is to protect the site from nuisance posters.

User Name: afibbers
Password: 2sesame

And you will end up at:
http://www.afibbers.net/forum/list.php?f=8

Let me know what you think.

I post there as Neil.

Best regards,

Neil
IT is common to have atrial fibrillation up to 3 months after an ablation in patient who have persistent or chronic atrial fibrillation.  This is how long it takes for the atrium to heal and during that process various rhythms including AF aren't uncommon.  It does not mean that the proceudre wasn't successful.  There is a higher chance, however, that he may need additional medications in addition to the ablation to control his AF because foci other than pulmnary veins may be involved.  
Neil, thanks so much for your note and link that site. For some reason, it's not letting me on with that user name and password. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks again.
Thank you very much for your note. It's good to know that fibrillation post procedure isn't uncommon. His doctor said that it didn't necessarily meant that it didn't work and I was hoping to get some other validation to make him feel a bit more encouraged. It is interesting what you said about the medication. Do you have any statistics regarding fibrillation post procedure or any more information that I could share with him? Thank you again!