Heart Disease Expert Forum
Flecainide and sinus rhythms

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Flecainide and sinus rhythms
Does Flecainide affect rhythms that originate from the sinus node or only ectopic rhythms?  Can Flecainide shorten the QTc in those without LQTS?
????
This is somewhat of a complex question. Anyway, Flecainide is generally used for arrythmias originating in the atria like atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter. There are generally only 3 rhythms that originate in sinus node which include the normal sinus rhythm (normal rhythm), sinus node re-entrant tachycardia, and inappropriate sinus tachycardia. There can also be atrial tachycardias that originate near the sinus node. Flecainide is not commonly used to treat these arrythmias though I would encourage you to discuss this with an electrophysiologist as your doctor may have a particular reason for using this medication. In regards to shortening the QT, Flecainide has been shown to shorten the QTc in Type 3 long QT syndrome though not in the other types of long QT. Flecainide can actually lengthen to QT some patients. I would recommend that you discuss these questions with your electrophysiologist. I hope this helps.  
thank you!