Heart Disease Community
Fluttering heartbeat in throat

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Fluttering heartbeat in throat

I have been experiencing a fluttering heart beat in my throat. It concerns my I have cardiomyopathy ef 35%. I am a 29 year old female. I also am experiencing gastric problem which I will be getting an EGD on tuesday for. About the flutters I feel seems to come on with stress, I have told my doctor,Echo with no change after they have started. after the fluttering occurs my vital are WNL. so is it my anxiety, my heart condition, or gastric related? Please help in any way you can.
It sounds like it may be Canon A waves, which are harmless. Most people have premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) at one time or another. If the timing of the PVC is such that the atria and ventricle attempt to contract at the same time, the blood in the contracting atria can't pass through the closed tricuspid valve and so is pumped backwards (the back-pressure pulse is called a Canon A wave), in the wrong direction towards the head.  This is often felt as a thump or tickling in the throat (in the jugular vein).

Both stress and gastric related problems often bring on pvcs. If you continue to experience these sensations, you probably should see your doctor to check it out. It will likely be harmless but best to make sure.

Tony