Heart Disease Expert Forum
Follow-up question on timing of valve surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I recently posted a question concerning the timing of possible surgery on my aortic valve. This will be my third open heart surgery.  I obtained the report from my most recent echocardiogram. (2-12-2003) The results showed that the ejection fraction is normal at 64%.  There is mild hypertrophy of the left ventricle.  The left atrial size moderately increased at 26 and a    diameter of 50 mm.  The right atrium is mildly increased at 21.  The right ventricle increased at 29.  Normal aortic root at 32.  The right heart pressure is 45 mild pulmonary hypertension.  The tricuspid valve has moderately severe tricuspid regurgitation with a morphologically normal valve.  The prosthetic mitral valve has mild to moderate regurgitation.  The aortic valve has moderate aortic regurgitation.  The leaflets displayed mild to moderate thickening.  There was borderline cusp separation at 15 mm.  The pulmonary valve was normal.  The only symptoms I have are occasional chest pain, palpitations and shortness of breath with exercise.  My original question was about how long before the aortic valve may need to be replaced (if at all).  Thank you for any information on this.  Have a peaceful day.
kayl,

Thanks for the post.  I reviewed your original post on 3/19.

Unfortunately, you have not provided enough information to answer this question over the internet.  In fact, it would be difficult for any doctor to answer this question without a dialogue with you.  Some specific information that needs clarification include what are the sizes of the left ventricle?, a more complete discussion of your symptoms, any change in time of the echo findings, Is there stenosis of the aortic valve in addition to the regurgitation?, plus others.

Your case is not easy or straightforward and will require direct consultation.

Good luck.