Fractured Sternal Wire
I had minimally invasive surgery in Feb. of 2007 and the wire my sternum back together.  I had a chest x-ray in May of 2008 becasue of some discomfort I was experiancing and it showed a fractured top sternal wire.  What are my options at this point.  Is it necessary after 17 months to get it rewired?  Can they remove the wire.  If it is rewired how long will it take to recover.  I am a 37 year old male who is very active.  What could have caused the fracture?
I have one too. The wiring was a result of by-pass surgery. I am 55 and was told that given the placement and position that I only needed to have the wire removed or replaced if it caused me any noticeable discomfort.

I was also told that simply coughing can cause the wire to fracture. I was in a car accident and was told that was the most likely cause of the fracture.

My surgery was invasive so I was told if I can live with it that would be my best option.

If your surgery was minimally invasive then removal might be in order once the sternum has healed. BUT I am not a physician.
I am Dr. Arch Miller, and I do reconstructive sternal procedures. The method of removing broken sternal wires and repairing the sternum is not now as extensive as it used to be. The procedure entails placing a plate that encircles the sternum and holds it together. You can go to the web site rapidsternalclosure.com and go to wikipedia and read the article innovative sternal device. Your problem can be fixed. You may contact me at my office or forum reconstructive surgery for further questions. Respectfully,

arch s miller ms md facs
I also recommend to you that you can have your problem fixed. This procedure marks an improvement in sternal salvage. Respectfully,

arch s miller ms md facs
i had open heart surg. 2003 to replace mitral value- four mos. later due to an infection i had to have total reconstruction of chest area (flaps, rectus rearranged,( sterum removed ) now in 2007 had to mitral value replaced again it was actually falling appart. but they cut me under the breast this time.  now sept 08, having problems with chest area fractured wire my bones rub together lots of pain in chest area and one side higher than other and i can stick my finger in 1\2 way to first knuckle. also i have neck problems which give me massive headaches 3x's a week from not having a sterum. Can you Help me please?  contact me at ***@****