Heart Disease Community
Gasping for air multiple times during the night associated with heart r...

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Gasping for air multiple times during the night associated with heart racing..Also short of breath during the day

Off and on for the last 6 yrs I have awaken from a dead sleep, gasping for air, as if someone is literally choking me and cutting off my air supply! Then my heart starts racing so fast it feels like it is going to jump right out of my chest..and for the past few months my legs ache so bad at night it is hard to get comfortable, (not restless, just aching badly)...Also too, the shortness of breathe I experience during the day limits my daily activities..such as standing for even a short period of time, walking the dog, while vaccuming the house, doing laundry, etc!  I am currently on anti-depressants such as Ambilify 2 mg, Valium 5 mg three times a day, and 100 mg of Neurontin (2 x a day ), as well as Salslate 750 mg to treat the osteoarthitis in my back and shoulder! I also recently had an MRI done due to the cartiledge thinning out between the discs in my C-Spine! A few weeks ago my legs ached so bad that nothing helped..not pain meds or even a heating pad! It was also accompanined by a very sharp pain, and a burning sensation inside my lower left leg, just above my ankle..and was even very sensitive to touch..Any ideas as to why I am experiencing these problems? I sure do appreciate anyone's input! Thanks so much!

This discussion is related to Short of breath and heart failure.