Getting off Propranolol
I have been taking 10 mg of Inderal twice a day and I'm stopping because I lost my health insurance, my doctor is being a jerk (doesn't want to prescribe meds for me if I can't come in for a visit and I can't afford it!) and I don't want to have to depend on this med or a doctor to get it anymore.  I was just taking it to prevent my HR from getting too high during panic and anxiety and to help with PACs.  How should I get off this?  I have quite a few pills left so I can wean slowly but I am scared that I will have a rebound effect of bad palps when I quit.  Any advice?
i think it might be a good idea to talk to a doctor about this.  it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to stop a medication like Inderal (generic Propanolol) if it is helping you.  even w/o insurance, Propanolol is available through some of the chains doing discount programs for $4 for a 60 day supply.
I know, the meds aren't the problem, I can get those cheap.  The problem is affording going to the doctor, I can't afford the office visit fee and don't want to have to go to the "free clinic" and sit there all day once a month or so just to get a propranolol script.  It sucks to be without health insurance!  What happened is that the two family practice docs I was seeing had a very bitter split and one went to another practice while the other refused to give her the charts of her patients. Now she is scared to prescribe meds without a chart so she wants all her patients to come for an initial visit in her new practice before she'll prescribe and the other doc has agreed to see me and let me pay him off in payments.  But, I can't run up a big tab at the doctor's office. I'm about to start an MBA program and my own law practice...don't have a lot of cash flow right now!  I am thinking it's best to cut my relationship of dependency on meds and that way I won't be beholden to doctors to have mercy and give me a prescription so I thought it was best to wean off while I have a lot of the pills and just be done!  I do plan on seeing this doctor who's agreed to let me make payments once and I'll ask him the best course of action.  
Agree, health insurance can be a challenge...some thoughts.  Sounds like you're going to have to get a copy of your records or see the doc to get prescriptions.

MBA programs aren't low stress--I'm glad I got mine before my heart really started to give me problems.  Keeping bp down & skips away is going to make your quality of life better.

Since your starting your business--you should be able to get into a chamber plan or some other group that allows you under a company to get private health care (which becomes a business expense).

I'm all for getting away from medications if the body can long term adjust, just don't put yourself in jeopardy because of it.

Take care.
As stated above, it would be a good idea for you to get copies of all your records to keep with you.  Then you can make copies of them for any other doctors you may see down the line.

When you wean from propranolol and find you have returning symptoms, you can always start it up again.  But you should talk to your doctor on his/her thoughts on how to wean, if indeed he/she even agrees that it is a good idea to wean.

Sandy
Thats a shame on what happened with your family doctors.  They argue and you pay the penalty, fiscally.  Personally, I know you may love your doctor, but if they are willing to have a tiff and put the lives and financial burden on "YOU", maybe its time to find a new doc.

I would ask your doctor if you can get a discounted rate since this is "not your problem."  You should never have to pay more money out of your pocket because of an argument that has nothing to do with you.  If they wont give you a discount, time to go doctor shopping! :)

Now, about the drugs.  If this drug makes you feel better, get it.  A hundred bucks to see a doc means no steak and wine for a week, thats all.  Your palps arent going to get better when starting on your MBA, thats for sure.

Best wishes!
I want to know how to taper off of propanolol permanently!  I just had my thyroid radiated a week ago.  My doctor is booked til Aug.
Her medical assistant told me to taper off and try taking half.  Well, today, I did, but it only lasted 3 hrs.  How do I get off of it gradually?