Heart Disease Community
Grade II Diastolic Dysfunction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Grade II Diastolic Dysfunction

I just had a 2D Echocardiogram w/Doppler and it showed the following (I do NOT have high blood pressure, diabetes, nor do I smoke or drink). I have been experiencing palpitations, heart pounding and rapid pulse, for years. Also for years now, I wake at night and feel like my heart is stopping so I jump to a sitting position and gasp for air, while my heart is beating extremely rapid. I feel fatigued by mid-day and often feel lightheaded. I am a 48-years-old female. Chronic medical conditions are: CAH (Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia), Ulcerative Colitis, GERD, and Hyperinsulinemia. I have had two episodes of pernicious anemia and have had folic acid, vitamin D and iron deficiencies (deficiencies are under control now). Could you please tell me what my test results mean! Thank you!!!

Quality of study: Adequate.

Echocardiogram Measurements: The aortic root is 3.0 cm.  Left atrium is 3.2 cm.  Left ventricular outflow tract diameter is 2.03 cm.  Interventricular septal thickness was 0.94 cm.  Posterior wall thickness 0.97 cm.  Left ventricular end-diastolic diameter is 3.63 cm.  Left ventricular end-systolic diameter is 2.74 cm.

Findings:
1.  There were normal chamber dimensions with normal wall thickness seen.
2.  There was normal left ventricular systolic function.  Ejection fraction is estimated to be about 65%.  There was no high-grade regional motion abnormalities seen.
3.  There were grossly normal valve morphologies seen with normal function.
4.  There was trace mitral insufficiency seen with evidence of stage II left ventricular diastolic compliance abnormality or diastolic dysfunction.  There were normal peak velocities across the aortic valve.  There was trace tricuspid regurgitation seen.  Estimated pulmonary artery systolic pressure was about 28 mmHg.
5.  There was no pericardial effusion seen.

Impression:
1.  Two dimensional echocardiogram with Doppler shows normal chamber dimensions, normal wall thickness with normal left ventricular systolic function, and stage II diastolic dysfunction.
2.  There was trace tricuspid regurgitation and trace mitral regurgitation.

Thank you for your assistance!

Quote: There was trace mitral insufficiency seen with evidence of stage II left ventricular diastolic compliance abnormality or diastolic dysfunction..."

There doesn't appear to be any outstanding problems except stage ll, but  LV diastolic dysfunction is of some significance as it suggests impaired (slow) and early filling and usually the left atrium increases in size and often there is a complaint of exertional shortness of breath...no confirmation as LVA is normal size.  Trace of valve leakage is of no medical significance...not uncommon and rarely progresses.

.
Thank you...I so appreciate your thoughtful response. I will be seeing the Cardiologist soon and hope to get some answers. What worries me is that I have been experiencing rapid heart/pulse rate & palpitations for years now. I also experience these strange episodes at night where upon falling asleep, I wake feeling as if my heart is stopping, I sit up, gasp for air and my heart beats 100 miles per hour and it is very frightening (this has also been going on for years). By afternoon, on most days, I feel very fatigued and lightheaded or dizzy. For years now I have described my symptoms to different doctors and I was mostly dismissed. My Endocrinologist is the only one who listened, he heard a "sound" and thought it to be an MVP; hence, the Echocardiogram. However, when the nurse from my family doctors office called with the results, she stated that it is nothing to worry about but that they would like me to see a Cardiologist. After all of these years struggling to find an answer, I am worried that I will just be dismissed again.

Thank you for listening :)
I have to agree with kenkeith, really nothing alarming other than the stage II diastolic dysfunction, but even that is an estimate. Your EF% is very good and your chamber sizes are normal so I don't think it will amount to anything major. Most family physicians will refer a patient to a Cardiologist with this finding to be safe. The symptoms you mention are not likely to be related.

Good luck with your Cardiologist and let us know how it goes,

Jon
Thank you so much for your reply! I do hope that they can figure out what is going on and that it turns out to be nothing. I have an Adrenal illness and always thought that maybe my symptoms are facilitated by "it". It would just be great to have an answer. :)

Best wishes,
Claudia