Heart Disease Expert Forum
HARD heart beat while trying to sleep?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

HARD heart beat while trying to sleep?

I was wondering if you can help with this question.
  At least 3 times a week, i have trouble sleeping cause of a hard heart beat.
  My pulse around that time is about 100-120 and i can feel and hear my heat in the pillow.This usualy happens on the night, and a few days after
  heavy weight training (ie:squats). When this occurs, i get up and move around for about an hour till is subsides.Im scaring myself into thinking im going to have a heat attack. I fell no pain or tightening in the chest.My last EKG looked normal and the last BP checked out at 140/90.  (my normal pulse is around 85-90) have you ever heard of anything like this this?
  thank you
  mario

_

Dear  Mario,
Thank you for your question. There are many causes of tachycardia  (fast heart beat) and they can be divided roughly into sinus (originating from the sinus node or heart's natural pacemaker) and non-sinus tachycardias.  Nonsinus tachycardias are either  supraventricular (coming from the upper chambers of the heart) or ventricular (coming from the lower chambers of the heart).  Supraventricular tachycardias include:  paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia, atrial flutter, atrial fibrillation and AV nodal tachycardia. Ventricular tachycardias are more serious in nature and are due to a rapid depolarization of  the ventricles.  
Sinus tachycardia is defined as a heart rate of greater than 100 beats per minute originating from the sinus node.  Sinus tachycardia is classified as either appropriate or inappropriate.  There are many causes of appropriate sinus tachycardia such as exercise, anxiety, panic attacks, dehydration, deconditioning, volume loss due to bleeding or other loss of body fluids, hyperthyroidism, electrolyte abnormalities and many other conditions. I would suspect in your case you are getting a little dehydrated after working out and this is causing your fast heart beat.  Are you drinking enough water when you work out?

Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.