Heart Disease Expert Forum
HBP Meds and Dental Meds

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

HBP Meds and Dental Meds

I am on Toprol XL 25 mg and a diuretic 25 mgs.
The information insert on the Toprol XL says to inform the dentist I am on this medicine before any procedure.
I did tell my dentist, and asked him why, and he said it is because of the chance of the epinepherine causing palps.
I also asked my cardiologist if it is OK for me to receive the epi in the dental office, and he told me that the amount of epi is so small, it should not cause any problems and is OK to use.

Has anyone had any adverse problems with this when they were at the dentist?, and for the MedHelp Doctor: ""Have you seen any real problems with this?"

I would hate to create a rapid or irregular heartbeat to myself, let alone a bad rise in BP....I take meds for panic disorder the way it is.....last thing I need is more adrenaline being shot in my body!!!  Thanks-Jerry
The dentist uses anesthetic with epinepherine mainly for 2 reasons.

1) epi causes blood vesels to constrict, this casuses the anesthetic to stay in place longer, which is important for longer procedures.

2) due to the blood vessel constriction, there tends to be less bleeding with the procedures, which allows the dentist to work more safely.

The amount of epi the dentist uses is usually not very large, and really shouldnt have too much of a systemic effect in those with palpitations or hypertension.

I wouldn't caution against it unless you had a bad experience after trying it.

good luck
I used to have WPW syndrome (VERY rapid heart rate at times) and I would tell my dentist not to use epi.  The only diff (using epi in novacaine) is it works faster with the epi, and wears off faster.  I would play it safe and ask for no epi. It's no big deal for the dentist, they just have to wait a few minutes longer until you are numb, and you have to wait an hour or so longer before it wears off.  It's worth the wait to avoid rapid heart rates and higher BP.
My dentist has my chart marked "no epi", but I am on atenolol and verapamil for tachycardia.  I have found, contrary to the poster above, that the sub. wears off faster and nicer, too.  I didn't have that horrible fat lip feel'g and didn't have all the tingling you get when it is wearing off.  I prefer the substitute.

It might be a good idea to get it just based on the fact that you have panic attacks.
Glad you brought this up concerning dental visits...I have my first dental appointment coming up since I began having heart Palpitations (monitor picked up moderate PVC's)....I'm concerned about the epinephrine issue and I would also love to have someone answer this question for me because I know I won't be able to post...Do I need to take preventative antibiotics before going in for a dental cleaning?  I know those with AFIb do, but I've heard it's not necessary for those with PVC's...If so, what antibiotic would it be?....I have some penicillan from a previous Step infection...would that work?...Thanks for your help all!  Jennifer
I was having work done at the dentist's office and started getting really bad palps. I must have have been showing it in my facial expressions because he asked me if I was getting palps. So, I told him I was and he said it was from the adreneline in the freezing.  He now gives me the kind without.  It's not as good and doesn't last as long, but a little pain in the teeth is
better than palps any day!!!

Does the adreneline cause problems if I have to use it?  I may need a root canal.

Wow, this question couldn't have come at a better time!  I am on ToprolXL 25mg once a day and 81mg aspirin twice a day.  I've been putting off lots of dental work (including replacing a cap that recently came off, I'm walking around with a hole where my tooth should be!) due to my fears of the "epi".  Even prior to having palpitations or being aware of them, my heart would race and my hands would shake, as if I was extremely nervous.  It was awful and I always dreaded it!  Now with the palps and being on medication, I have been avoiding the dentist's office like the plague.  You guys have helped me realize I can still go, but I just need to ask for no "epi".  But my other concern is the aspirin.  Can anyone answer if taking two 81mg a day is of any concern?  Will it be hard for the dentist to control the bleeding??? Any answers or advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!