Heart Disease Expert Forum
HCM, afib, atach, RFA, a/v node
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

HCM, afib, atach, RFA, a/v node

Dr,

I have HCM, and have had worsening afib since about 3 years ago. My LA is 54mm. I have had 4 ablations now. The first 2 did little. The last 2 by Andrea Natale have made progress. Since the last ablation in Sep, I have not had afib. I do have an atach, that Andrea warned me about post-op. He said he could get at it next time. I believe it was from the non-corinary cusp. My plan was to have that 3rd Natale ablation to eradicate the atach. I was scheduled for mid-Feb. However, a couple weeks ago, I got sick (DHF) from the atach (120bmp), and wound up in the hospital. In the echo, they found clots on the LA wall/lining, and on the pulmonary veins (because of some stenosis). My INR was therapeutic at 2.5. I had to cancel my next ablation until they cleared. I was on heparin, and am now on Lovanox.

Now, I have to wonder if all the ablations are causing structural weaknesses in my LA that make me more vulnerable to clots. Were these clots an anomaly or result of the process of healing from the Sep ablation, or are they a risk forever? I presume if they are a constant risk now, then my move is to start the process for transplant. If they are not, then I am left with options of another ablation, a/v node ablation, or maze/LA reduction surgery.
I wonder if I can ablate the remaining atach without causing a greater risk for clot formation. I wonder if the a/v node ablation might be better since my LA is so big and I do not get much atrial kick as it is. This would allow me to get off a lot of these meds too. And I know nothing of the surgical maze and left atrium reduction surgery other than it is an option.

So what are you thoughts on the short term? Are any of them a long term answers (with respect to my risk for clots)? Is it worth it to go to somewhere like Mayo that has HCM expertise, or will they say what everyone says which is, "we don't know." Please give me a different point of view.