Heart Disease Expert Forum
HCM DHF
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

HCM DHF

I have HCM, history of AT/AF, DHF, 54mm LA, and 4 unsuccessful ablations. I am in normal rhythm for 6 months now b/c of success w/Fleccanaide.

In 2009, I was in sinus for a while and I felt good. I had an echo done during this time, and echo looked good, no obstruction, no big changes in the last few years. I was still sick though when in AF/AT. In Sep 09 I had my 4th ablation, and it was not successful.

Then in Feb 10, this year, my Dr wanted to risk trying Flecc (I have ICD) and it has worked. This has been the longest with  normal rhythm without an incident (6mos) since 2006. However, I do not feel as good as last time I was arrhy-free, last summer.

My atrium used to be paced 15% w/threshold of 60bpm. Now it seems my sinus node is dead b/c Im paced 100% of the time. A recent echo showed the pressures have gone up, and I have pulmonary hypertension that was not there before. Dr says atria are probably not contracting anymore, from recent scarring/ablations.

1. CAUSE. Before I concede a heart transplant, is my non-arrhythmia conditioning worse because of the stiffing of LA and RA, or is it because I am paced all the time? Could it be pulm vein stenosis (they saw some in my last TEE)? Or could it just be fleccanaide (I was not on it before)?  It is one of these. Nothing else has changed. The LA is the same size as last sumer, and there is no new gradiant. The difference in one year is too stark.

2. TREAT/SINUS. If my conditioning is worse b/c constant pacing, then I can try to restore sinus by cutting down some meds. I have room with dilt and flecc. What do you think about restoring sinus as a solution?

3. TREAT/PACING. I can try to improve pacing by setting my ICD at different intervals. When my atria are paced there is a long lag before RV contraction. Whem I am dual paced, the interval is too short. What do you think of improving pacing as solution?