Heart Disease Expert Forum
HDL concern ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

HDL concern ?

If LDL is kept under 70 (as mine is), is an HDL of 25 a concern?   Or is progression of my atherosclerosis more likely at the lower HDL?

Three tests showed my HDL in mid to upper 30s from Sept through December, 2012  TG around 110, TC around 120.  Two test since then showed a drop in HDL, 29 then 25, and rise in TG, 200 and 150.  TC stayed low, under 130.

I am looking at my diet for changes to account for this, and the only thing seems to be bread and pasta and potatoes increased recently.  I adopted a plant based diet in early Sept, 2012

Thank you
Although your LDL is less than 70, having low HDL is also a risk factor for cardiovascular events.  The level of HDL in your blood is a reflection of a lot of different things.  Healthy eating with a good exercise regimen is the best way to regulate your HDL level.  I would recommend discussing with a nutritionist and consulting your physician regarding a regular exercise routine.  It certainly is possible that changing your diet has led to a change in your cholesterol profile.
Whomever is ordering the tests should darn well be giving you nutritional information regarding maintaining good HDL.   I'd guess, too, that you are having far too frequent testing.