Heart Disease Expert Forum
Headaches, sleeplessness aortic stenosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

sc9
On my last visit to the cardiologist, he asked if I had headaches or woke up overnight. I meant to ask him what this signified, but I forgot. I have severe aortic stenosis which will require surgery soon. Ordinarily, I do not have headaches or wake up overnight, but of course, like everyone else, I do from time to time. What significance do these have in regards my condition, and when are they cause for concern? Thanks.
I think he is thinking about obstructive sleep apnea, as this can cause elevated carbon dioxide levels and subsequent early morning headaches. If you have any of these symptoms and you are overweight, you may need a sleep study and subsequent CPAP/BiPAP at night.
sc9
Thanks for your answer. Syncope had also been discussed and I thought that perhaps headaches would be a precursor for that...and I thought that waking up overnight might be caused by the heart not working as well as it should because of the severe stenosis...that it was working overtime(pounding hard) to compensate for the stenosis. I have low blood pressure, as well, and I thought that because it most likely drops overnight, this was the issue and why they asked about headaches, and sleeplessness. It could have been your reasoning as well.