Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart Attack Damage

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart Attack Damage

Following a cardiac catheterization, I was diagnosed as having a
  "moderate" silent heart attack. They said I had an "inferobasal aneurysm" -
  where in the heart would this be located? My cardiologist told me that this was the "best place" to have damage. Do these types of aneurysms
  rupture like others I've heard about?  I was only told to start taking daily aspirin (81mg) since my arteries were normal otherwise.  The term "moderate heart attack" scares me - how much heart damage is involved
  before a heart attack is called moderate?  How much damage can the heart take ?  Can it ever repair itself?
  Thanks in advance for your reply.
  Barbara
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
Dear Barbara,
Topic Area: Heart Attack
Thank you for your question.  The inferiorbasal portion of the heart is located on the "bottom" of the heart next to the diaphragm.  I am not entirely clear what your doctor meant by "aneurysm".  He may have meant that this area was not moving or was slightly dilated.  Often these require only medical management but more severe types may require surgery.  You may require other medications besides aspirin such as cholesterol or blood pressure medication and I would follow up with your doctor concerning these meds.  
I think moderate is just like it sounds - neither small nor large.  There are no "good" heart attacks but on the bright side I guess you can be glad it was not large.  Generally once the damage is done it is not reversible.  However by following your doctors recommendations you can prevent further damage.  
I would also suggest cardiac rehab if your doctor recommends this.  This will help you to get started safely on an exercise program and will put you in touch with others who have gone through the same thing for support.  Good luck.

I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.