Heart Attack and Brain damage.
My dad had a heart attack, whilst undergoing surgery to replace his pacemaker  batteries, before the surgeon changed them. He was sedated for a week to allow his heart and breathing to get stronger. He was woken properly 4 days ago. He has regained his stength and is able to walk, talk and do many things for himself, but, he is suffering from memory loss. He is living in the past and is imaginining things he has done i.e walking to the window, seeing people etc. Has anyone else had a similar experience and did they regain their mind? I really need to hear from someone as I am so worried, thanks.
it could be side effects from medication hes on (pain killers, or sedatives).. Explain your concerns to his doctor, and if nessecary there are many tests that can be preformed to see if there is any kind of brain damage or deminished function.
Assuming he is still in the hospital it would be real simple to have a neuro and psych consult and go from there.
Hi! my name is Guera and im just here toa ask a few questions to any one...if you could help that would be great well thanks!
My friend had a heart attack, unfortunately he is out in cyprus. He seems to have got over that but has lost the ability to speak and is just staring into space. he knows his daughter and has written her name down. He had a scan and the Dr said some brain cells were dead. Will he recover his speech and get back to normal?
Yes over time his speech will recover, but not always fully. Sometimes speech impairment remains when they are stressed or tired, but I get that way at times too. My mother and my wife both recovered fully with their speech. Someone has to keep having conversations with them, using their functions aids recovery. I had relatives visiting regularly so talking was done in shifts.
I am 35 yrs old and it will be 1 yr in October since I had my heart attack. I am suffering from similar memory issues, I have little to no short term memory now. At first I thought I was going crazy but after researching it I have found it is a side effect of going without oxygen. It s eels to get a little better but I am working on it daily. Good luck to you and your father.