Heart Disease Community
Heart Cancer

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Heart Cancer

My sister has stage 4 heart cancer, her heart rate has been 42 beats per minute all day today. She had a heart attack Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The cancer is also in her lungs, shoulder and the bones of her skull. She had her bladder removed last Nov. She was cancer free 4 months ago. She is only 37 years old. They have told her that chemo will not help, but they cannot send her home with such a low heart rate without a pacemaker. Will this help her to live longer? Or are they just putting her through surgery for no reason? Thank You Teresa
I'm so sorry to hear about your sister's very poor health. I'm thinking the pacemaker will keep her more comfortable since it will keep her heart rate up to 60-65. She may be more alert with better circulation. That would be a plus for her and for the family, make it easier to enjoy her time with all of you.

It's not much of a procedure. My Dad (who's in end stage heart failure) had his replaced recently. It took very little time. To put in a new unit may take slightly longer but all they do is run some wires to the heart and make a pocket for the pacer under the skin near the collarbone. She'll have to limit her activiites for awhile (like lifting her arm up or lifting heavy things).

Is her doctor recommending a pacer? I don't know if it will help her live longer. A very low heart rate is not a good thing to add to all her other health issues. And it would be fairly easy to correct with the pacer. That's just my opinion. Whatever you decide, here's hugs for you both.
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Paxiled commented on Individuals with soci...
Susanmyocardial Susan Comment
specialmom commented on Lose Weight and Boost...