Heart Disease Community
Heart Cath after bypass

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Heart Cath after bypass

I had bypass surgery in 2004 ( 5 bypasses }.  Now, 3 years and 5 months later,  my cardiac doctor had me take a stress test again.  He said that he saw something that he didn't like and had me set up for a heart cath.  I had the procedure and he placed a stent in one of the blocked arteries that had been bypassed.  He said that all the bypasses were clear and good but he wanted to stent the old arteries that had the severe blockage. I go in next week for another stent, probably two, and I was just wondering if this action was correct.  Is there a reason to try and open the old arteries?

This discussion is related to stents after bypass surgery.
Are you saying the procedure was to stent the graft and not the artery that had been by-passed.  Sometimes the graft develops occlusions and then stented.

Quote "...the bypasses were clear and good, but he wanted to stent the old arteries that had severe blockage."  Doesn't make much sense..if stents could have been a viable option before a by-pass, why a stent implant now?!  If there is a deficit of blood/oxygen to a specific portion of the heart, it may be the intervention is to provide a collateral passage to the deficit area.  But if the by-pass vessels were clear and good, it should be sufficient to provide an adequate blod supply.  You may want to get another opinon.  The proposed intervention is not without risks.
The grafted arteries are good.  He is stenting the original arteries. He stated that the grafted area was attached to a diseased artery, maybe he is trying to put more blood to the diseased artery hoping that more will pass thruogh.
Avatar n tn
you have it correct.  the dr is probably stenting the native artery that the graft is attached too.  it is common but you are at 3.5 yrs andthats quick  are you watching your bp and cholesterol?  exercising?  youmust change your lifestyle or he will eventually run out of options and you'll wind up with a re-do cabg and the morbidity rate increases dramatically.  good luck.