Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart Catherization

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart Catherization

On February 24th I underwent a heart Catherization.  I did not have a blockage but the Dr was able to make a diganosis of Cardiomyopathy.  Shortly after returning to the hospital room following the heart cath I had a bleed from the femoral artery.  The nurses worked hard on my leg to stop it.  I immediately began having pain in my leg.  A month or so after the procedure my cardiologist said I had an inflammation in the femoral artery that was pressing against a nerve causing the pain.  It has been almost four months and I am still having this pain in my right leg.  My internist made the same diagnosis a few months later and even did x-rays to make sure.  I take 2 Celebrex each day for inflammation.  Is this a normal side effect from a heart cath?  Sometimes my leg feels like it is on fire.  My doctor doesn't seem to be to concerned but this problem is controlling my life.  I can't do any of the things I normally do.  Should I go to another doctor?  Have you ever heard of this problem from a heart cath and if so how much longer should it last?  I am getting desperate for some relief.  I appreciate any insight you can offer?
Dear Irene,
No, it is not a common complication to have an inflammation of the artery following catheterization.  It is especially unusual to continue to have pain 4 months later.  I would even wonder if it is related to the procedure at all?  Perhaps your internist would recommend seeing a neurologist to make sure there is not some type of nerve problem.
Hi Irene!  I had a heart cath about 18 months ago to help diagnosis time for surgery for a congenital bicuspid aortic valve.  I was also a "bleeder" only it happened in the operating or cath room.  Several people literally jumped on me to stop the bleeding.  The result was a huge hematoma from my knee to up in my lower abdomen.  I couldn't walk for a few days, and it was sore and ugly for a long, long time.  However, there was no real extended pain, just soreness, and no infection.  Sounds like you need to get someone to take another look, although some things can take a long time to heal and some infections a long time to clear up.  Good luck!