Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart Disease Prognosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart Disease Prognosis

My mother had a bypass surgery in Feb of this year. She is 53 years old, NEVER had a heart attack, NOT overweight, and her cholesterol is good. However she is diabetic and both that and heart disease runs in my family.  Just 2 weeks ago she started experience chest pains again, just like before the bypass. She went back in for a angigram, and following that the doctors discharged her and said their was nothing they could do because she had heart disease and all the small artieries and blood vessils were still progressing badly (like that of a 90 year old).  Her primary care physican has suggested regulating her blood sugar as much as possible, watching her diet, and switching to a synthetic insulin.  I really think my mom is too young to have the doctors say their is nothing they can do.  And almost all the information I can find on the internet about synthetic insulin (as opposted to human), is all negative and very scary (in regards to studies that have caused comas).  I have scheduled an appointment for a second opinion, and I  know TMR could be an option in the future. My question to you is how long can someone life with Heart Disease, and some studies I read about have said you can reverse it or stop the progression of it with diet and exercise.  My mother is just hysterical about not seeing her grandchilden (my brother and I are in our 20's and not married yet).  None of the doctors have given us a timeline, so I have no idea how long someone can live with heart disease.  If anyone can offer any suggestions or opinions, I would appreciate it.
Dear Dawn,
Diabetes can be a very devastating disease on the heart but that does not mean there are not treatment options.  First she must change the things that she can change: If she smokes she must must must stop (today); begin an exercise program as recommended by her doctor; change her diet to low fat, low cholesterol, low carbohydrate diet; maintain tight control of her diabetes (no higher than 110); and try taking steps to reduce stress in her life.  Next she needs to work closely with her doctor on her medications.  There are a number of good medications that will help with her symptoms and with prolonging her life.  TMR may be an option down the road if she continues to have symptoms.  

No doctor has a crystal ball to predict how long someone will live but if she makes changes now she could very well live to see her grandchildren grow up.
I agree with making life changes.  My mother was given about three years with her badly damaged heart.  She had 7 heart attacks and thought was not going to make it.  She took control of her life.  Now it is 4 years later and her stress test are greatly better then the orginal.  She rides her bike 10 miles a day now, cleans windows, and derocate for xmas :-)
She has taken up eating  garlic and dropped her cholesterol to 150 from 270.  No more fast food only good home cooked meals.  BTW she is 69 years old.  She out shops me now.  (i;m 43)
Heart disease and diabetic also runs in our family.  Only my mom and I have missed the diabetic part.  We watch the weight.  And right now I am being checked for heart problems.  Guess I need to take my moms advice start to ride also.  However You ain't going to get me to eat garlic, even with my cholesterol being over 220.

Good Luck and my prayers,
Buzz
good luck