Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart Failure

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart Failure

Posted By Dave on June 03, 1999 at 12:04:54
I have been doing a considerable amount of research on your site and others related to my current physical status in an effort to develop a longer term risk assessment related to heart failure.
I have coronary artery disease and have had two heart attacks in the last five years. One at age 35 and the other last year at age 40. The first heart attack resulted in left bundle branch block and only minimal muscle damage. An angioplasty was performed. The most recent was in the LAD artery and resulted in damage to approximately the lower third (partially including the septum)of the left ventricle. A stent was inserted. An echocardiagram directly after and six months following the heart attack indicated absolutely no muscle contraction of the bottom third of the left ventricle. Angioplasty indicates that I have additional arteries that have been narrowed. My current symptoms are minimal with some shortness of breath following exertion and during stressfull moments, and having no energy following exercise. Some slight heaviness is noticeable in the chest during these same moments, but no pain.
I understand from the research I have performed that heart failure can develop slowly over a few years. I also understand that with my history, my risk for developing heart failure is very high.
Q1: Are there any studies or information available that provide an actual numerical range (in years) for heart failure to occur following heart muscle damage?
Q2: Is there any information available that provides the percentage of patients that develop heart failure following heart muscle damage? I understand that the amount of heart damage and retained functionality (as one variable) play a large role in determination of timeframe till heart failure may occur, so it is difficult to provide a value that has a high degree of accuracy. I also understand that new drugs (i.e. ACE inhibitors) have been shown to possibly postpone the onset of heart failure symptoms.
I apologize for the long dissertation, but would really appreciate some realistic information.
Thank you for your assistance.

Follow Ups:

Re: Heart Failure CCF CARDIO MD - DLB 6/05/1999
(0)

Re: Heart Failure Dmitriy 6/04/1999
(1)

Heart Failure CCF CARDIO MD - DLB 6/06/1999
(0)