Heart Murmur and Heart Disease
This question is for Darcy Green Conaway, MD  
General Cardiology/ Ecocardiology or other Heart specialist who can answer my question

I was diagnosed with a small heart Murmur 11 years ago when I was pregnant with my son.  Doctors told me it was small and it was nothing to worry about. My mother and her side of her family have Congestive Heart Failure.  I need to know, will I developed this problem when I get older. I will be 40 this year.  I had a stress test, and the results were good.  My heart is strong and in good condition.   I am a very healthy woman according to my doctor. I am just curious to know this.  Some People can have a small problem with their heart, like a small heart Murmur and later in life develop problems, because of family history. At this time, my doctor can barely hear my mummur, and sometimes you can’t hear it at all.  Should I worry about heart disease?
lind28
Probably not; I've had one since I was 2 years old.   Though I used to worry all the time about it... and Dr's still want to send me for tests each time I see a new one.   I've had echos done a few times and never find anything... I was told my heart was normal and wouldn't get worse.   My murmur can get really loud if I'm anxious or nervous or after exercise... then sometimes can barely be heard when relaxed.   Yours sounds like mine... generally if they get quieter when relaxed it's probably a flow murmur.   I'm 32 now and no problems still.
Hi lind28,

For peace of mind you may want to ask your doctor about getting a current echocardiogram.  My guess is that you are probably fine, but it's always nice to know for sure.

By the way, the doctors do not answer questions on the community boards.  If you want to have the doctor address your question, you can try posting on the Expert forums.  You won't necessarily hear from Dr. Conway because there are a few doctors who answer the questions.

Take care
connie