Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart Pain & Tums

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart Pain & Tums

Posted by Val on May 27, 1999 at 12:06:41
I posted a msg. on 5/24 about severe chest paint I have been having for sometime in the center of my chest only in the evenings.. The Dr. Said it could possibly be serious and that i should have it looked into. I also added that tums es take the pain away. I just need to know why he would even suggest it might be serious when the tums take it away instantly!  Is there any reason that tums would take the pain away if it were anything else but heartburn/indigestion??
Val

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on May 28, 1999 at 17:09:11
Dear Val
I have seen several cases where acid reflux and heart disease coexist; treatment with an antacid improves the situation temporarily, but then the patient goes on to have a heart attack. Of course, this is not a common situation, but there is no way that the doctors on this forum could diagnose what you have over the Internet. It is safer to assume it is something serious.  Furthermore, the fact that you were concerned enough to write about it means that you too are not convinced it is just heartburn.
I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back.
Information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own doctor. If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.