Heart Palpitations (To KLB32)
Backround for other people....
For as long as I can remember, whenever I would get anxious/scared, I would feel forceful heart beats (Like my chest was jumping) and it seems like I can hear my heart beating loudly in my head.

As of recently, I would get the same symptoms and have a heart rate of 180-190 while working out... Im healthy, don't smoke, don't drink, good shape, in the Army. Don't have much caffeine intake.
I noticed that most "Palpitations" happens when Im scared.
I hear that it could happen with panic attacks, that may be my case.

Here is a response that I got... Im reposting to hope to get a response... and to bump this topic.

Thanks!!!

KLB32
4/13/2007
C2  . I think many of us here are all too familiar with what you're experiencing. More than likely, you're having PVC's and/or PAC's. The only way to know for sure is to catch them on a monitor. Have you asked your Dr. about getting an EKG and possibly a holter monitor? That is the only way to truly know what you have.

In the meantime, don't stress to much about it. Believe me, stress and anxiety just makes it worse!

Good luck

shannonwooten
4/15/2007
C3  . I haven't talked to a doctor about this. This is the first time realizing that its not so normal.

As far as what is going on? Anything bad?
As far as testing... what do I tell my doc? Anything that can wait... or I should get checked out sometime...

?

Thank you!
I get palpitations often when something frightens me or startles me (even if it's in a good way....like receiving good news or something).  But it's still important to see your doctor so they can try to catch these episodes while you're on a monitor just so you know what you're dealing with.  I think you will find a huge sense of relief once you know what they are for sure.

I would just tell the doctor you are feeling heart palpitations (like skipped beats) and would like to get an EKG and possibly a Holter monitor.  They are generally covered by insurance and very simple and painless.  EKG's take maybe all of 10 minutes and Holter's are generally worn for 24-48 hours(it is basically a portable EKG).  If none of your palps are caught by EKG or Holter, you can ask about an event monitor.  I have never had one of those but my understanding is it's a small portable device that you hold up to your chest when you experience palps and it works best for the infrequent ones that don't show on Holter.

Awesome info, thank you very much!!